What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

How can I monitor the number USB storage devices connected to a Windows PC?

Votes:

Is there a sensor that returns the number of connected USB storage devices?

custom-script-exe custom-sensor disk external storage usb

Created on Feb 9, 2012 9:19:30 AM by  Dirk Paessler [Founder Paessler AG] (11,025) 3 6

Last change on Mar 19, 2015 3:43:44 PM by  Martina Wittmann [Paessler Support]

8 Replies

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Yes, there is a USBDevices custom sensor available on PRTG Tools Family:

"USBDevices" Custom Sensor

Summary

This sensor returns the number of connected USB storage devices. Using limits you can get notified when a users plugges in a USB storage device.

Parameters

• -c=computer [-u=username] [-p=password|passhash]

Parameter Descriptions

• -c= The ip-address or hostname of the computer to get the number of connected USB storage devices from.
  • -u= Optional the name of the user account that has access to the computer via WMI service.
  • -p= Optional the password or passhash(*) of the user account that has access to the computer via WMI service.

Thanks to Gerard for creating and sharing this sensor.

Created on Feb 9, 2012 9:23:29 AM by  Dirk Paessler [Founder Paessler AG] (11,025) 3 6

Last change on Aug 22, 2016 9:07:49 AM by  Gerald Schoch [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Dirk:

Thank you for the response, very helpful. Quick question, would it be possible to pass this along to multiple devices, ie: -c=$hostname or -c={hostname} so I do not have to manually add this for every device?

Created on Jul 8, 2014 4:52:11 PM

Votes:

I like this sensor.

It would perfect to have more information on the device connected: - serial, type (key or hard drive....) - Amount of data transfered.

Do you think that it could be implemented in a future version?

Thanks,

David

Created on Jun 13, 2018 7:42:38 AM

Votes:

Hi David,

It is not planned to implement this feature in the near future, since there are very few requests in this direction.

Kind regards,
Birk Guttmann, Tech Support Team

Created on Jun 13, 2018 3:27:22 PM by  Birk Guttmann [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hello!

Can i with this Custom sensor understand is my HASP device connected to PC or not? So this sensors showing only NUMBER of devices connected or WHICH devices connected?

Created on Mar 5, 2019 8:21:15 AM

Votes:

Hi there,

Yes, this sensor only shows the amount of connected USB devices and NOT which devices are connected.

Kind regards,
Birk Guttmann, Tech Support Team

Created on Mar 5, 2019 10:29:04 AM by  Birk Guttmann [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi, is this thread still relevant? If so i wanted to ask, is there a way to create a sensor that is checking the usb status on an a linux machine? Thanks

Created on Apr 30, 2020 3:55:19 PM

Votes:

Hi there,

I'm afraid there is no native sensor for linux available.

There might be a workaround however, please check this link for further information: https://kb.paessler.com/en/topic/82197-monitor-connected-usb-dongles-on-linux-debianos-via-snmp#reply-285609

Kind regards,
Andreas Günther
Tech Support, Paessler AG

[email protected]

Created on May 1, 2020 10:13:51 AM by  Andreas Günther [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.