What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Complete list of ports for firewalls

Votes:

We have various monitors passing over multiple firewalls monitoring different things. In the most case tcp/135 works for WMI, but we have issues when monitoring SQL and other non-standard things. When checking the firewall logs for drops we see ports (UDP & TCP) i would not be expecting from the remote probe to the end device.

Can anyone provide a complete list of what port number is used for each sensor type so i can tune down the allows on my firewall to the bare minimum?

I can believe i am the only person to ask this.......

monitoring ports prtg

Created on Feb 10, 2012 7:37:34 AM

Best Answer

Accepted Answer

Votes:

For a list of ports that PRTG requires, please see the article Which ports does PRTG use on my system?

Created on Sep 15, 2014 2:47:46 PM by  Gerald Schoch [Paessler Support]

4 Replies

Votes:

Hi,
the ports needed by PRTG are strongly dependent on the used sensors. Basically you will need at least the ports discussed in this article.
Best regards

Created on Feb 13, 2012 11:51:10 AM by  Konstantin Wolff [Paessler Support]

Votes:

I have done that, but sensors like SQL monitoring dont seem to be using tcp/1433. So you can imagine my surprise when i can not find a complete white list for all ports/sensors.

I would imagine that the makers of PRTG would know this, so why cant they publish it?

Created on Feb 13, 2012 2:54:13 PM

Votes:

Hi,
we cannot publish a complete list of used ports, because some services open high ports dynamical, so it is impossible to get a complete list. And as mentioned in my post before, the needed ports depend on the services you want to monitor and on the used protocols.
Maybe you want to install a Remote Probe as it only requires TCP Port 23560 opened for communication with the PRTG Core Server.
Best regards

Created on Feb 13, 2012 3:08:50 PM by  Konstantin Wolff [Paessler Support]

Accepted Answer

Votes:

For a list of ports that PRTG requires, please see the article Which ports does PRTG use on my system?

Created on Sep 15, 2014 2:47:46 PM by  Gerald Schoch [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.