What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

WMI Strange Problem - can't connect using Non admin account

Votes:

Hi Guys,

Okay I'm confused :). So WMI sensors work from Paessler ONLY if I define Administrator account in Device setup.

However if I defined non-admin account (with proper permissions for DCOM and remote access) - it doesn't want to work at all and ALWAYS give me this:

Connection could not be established (80070005: Access is denied - Host: 192.168.2.10, User: PaesslerUser, Password: ......., Domain: ntlmdomain:) (code: PE015)

However if I'm going to machine that host Paessler tool and write a simple script

strComputer = "192.168.2.10"
Set objSWbemLocator = CreateObject("WbemScripting.SWbemLocator")
Set objSWbemServices = objSWbemLocator.ConnectServer _
    (strComputer, "root\cimv2", _
    "PaesslerUser", "pass")
Set colProcessList = objSWbemServices.ExecQuery( _
    "Select * From Win32_Processor")
For Each objProcess in colProcessList
    Wscript.Echo "Process Name: " & objProcess.Name 
Next

and then run it from command line:

I get connection and result properly, as you see here

C:\>cscript test.vbs Microsoft (R) Windows Script Host Version 5.8 Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

Process Name: Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU X5680 @ 3.33GHz

I set all DCOM settings properly (remote connection, access to tree and subtrees in WMI) as you can see. The target machine runs Windows Server 2008 R2 Web Edition.

Any ideas what I can do?

dcom security windows-server-2008-r2 wmi

Created on Feb 12, 2012 9:36:54 PM

Last change on Feb 13, 2012 3:17:05 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

2 Replies

Votes:

Hello,

please bear in mind, that it's not PRTG or us who lay down the rules and permissions with WMI Classes and DCOM. This is done by Microsoft, so if an Admin account does not work with certain WMI Queries, please ask the guys in Redmond.
The difference in this case may very well be, that the script is running under your account, whereas the PRTG Probe Service may be running under the default "LOCAL SYSTEM" account.

best regards.

Created on Feb 13, 2012 3:19:34 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hello,

Please check that your user is a local admin on the target machine and also a member of the "Performance Log Users" group on the target machine.

Regards,

Created on Feb 13, 2012 3:46:48 PM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.