What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Best way to monitor success / failure of a backup application

Votes:

Hello

I am looking for a way to have PRTG show a RED sensor for when my backup application fails to backup successfully. The application is CA ARCserve backup and it has the facility to report to the windows application eventlog with a success/fail message.

I have gotten an Eventlog API Sensor to trigger when the relevant failure message is delivered to the windows application eventlog but it obviously displays green and it needs to display RED to stand out in the display.

Is there anyway to achieve the result of having a backup application monitored and it triggering a RED sensor in the display when the backup job fails for whatever reason.

Thankyou for reading,

Regards

Simon New User!

backup monitoring prtg

Created on Feb 21, 2012 12:09:06 PM

2 Replies

Votes:

You could let Arcserve write a log after Backup. Thist log can be Monitort within PRTG with the Filecontents-Sensor, even the up-to-dateness of the Entry. So you will have an Alert at least till the next successfull Backup.

Regards

Created on Feb 22, 2012 9:50:39 AM

Votes:

we are working on a solution to monitor backups at the moment but it will not be available before Q2

Created on Feb 22, 2012 10:24:18 AM by  Aurelio Lombardi [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.