What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

How can I add multiple devices, each with multiple exe/script sensors, in an efficient way?

Votes:

I need to monitor more than 500 devices and each device has 1 or more than 1 exe/script sensors. Therefore, I would like to ask how can I add the devices and sensors in a efficient ways such as importing a csv or XML file, etc.

By the way, I would prefer not to use Auto discovery as the IP addresses of the devices are not consistent and the network is a class A network.

csv custom device exe prtg script sensor xml

Created on Feb 22, 2012 9:44:11 AM

Last change on Feb 22, 2012 10:34:04 AM by  Daniel Zobel [Product Manager]

1 Reply

Accepted Answer

Votes:

This article applies to PRTG Network Monitor 9 or later

Using Device Templates with EXE/Script Files

You can use the device template functionality of PRTG in combination with specific auto-discoveries.

Step 1: Create Device Template

Please create one sample device you would like to use as "pattern". Then right-click on this device and create a Device Template from it. A device template will store almost all sensors which exist on the device, including EXE/Script sensors.

Then you'll have to use PRTG's Auto-Discovery to apply your device template to new devices. You have two options to do so.

Step 2: (Option 1) Create a new device manually using its IP address or DNS name.

• In the device's Settings tab, in the Sensor Management section, select the Automatic sensor creation using specific device template(s) option,
  • choose your device template,
  • and Save your settings.
  • On your device, PRTG will create the sensors stored in your template.

Step 2: (Option 2) Add a new Auto-Discovery Group to an existing Probe or group.

• Select the Automatic sensor creation using specific device template(s) from the Sensor Management section.
  • Select your device template.
  • In the IP Selection Method section, you can select List of individual IPs and DNS Names to paste a list of IP addresses and/or DNS names that will be created, applying the selected template. This way you effectively avoid automatic discovery of other devices in this IP range.
  • Save your settings.
  • In the new group, PRTG will create the devices with the sensors stored in your template.

Created on Feb 22, 2012 10:53:17 AM by  Daniel Zobel [Product Manager]

Last change on Mar 24, 2015 1:46:51 PM by  Gerald Schoch [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.