What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Settings on ESXi 5 host when monitoring via SSH VMware ESX(i) Disk Sensor

Votes:

I have a VMWare ESXi 5.0 host server that I am monitoring with PRTG. I would like to monitor the disk storage status of the server, however when I try to add the SSH VMWare ESX(i) Disk Sensor I receive the following error:

Socket error on connecting. WSAGetLastError return 10060($274C).

I am currently monitoring the same server successfully with a VMware Host Server (SOAP) sensor without any issues. Is there a setting that I need to configure on the host, or in the PRTG software to enable this to connect successfully?

disk esx esxi esxi-5 prtg ssh

Created on Feb 23, 2012 8:36:45 AM by  Daniel Zobel [Product Manager]

Last change on Feb 23, 2012 8:40:54 AM by  Daniel Zobel [Product Manager]

1 Reply

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Enable SSH

Can you access your Server with any other ssh-client?

On ESXi servers SSH is not activated by default. If you haven't activated SSH yet, take a look at e.g. http://www.thomasmaurer.ch/2011/08/enable-ssh-on-esxi-5-via-vsphere-client/

Handle SSH Warnings

Note: The inconvenience you are faced with since ESXi version 5.x is that you will be reminded by your vSphereClient in the Host-Summary-page, section 'Confirmation Issue', that 'SSH for the host has been enabled'. And there will be a warning sign at the host-icon.

HowTo Disable These Warnings

1. Select the ESXi host from the Inventory.
  2. Select Advanced Settings from the Software menu.
  3. Navigate to UserVars > UserVars.SuppressShellWarning.
  4. Set the value from 0 to 1.
  5. Click OK.

HowTo Disable These Warnings Using Esxcli

1. Connect to the ESXi host through SSH using root credentials.
  2. Run the following command: esxcli system settings advanced set -o /UserVars/SuppressShellWarning -i 1

HowTo Re-Enable These Warnings Using Esxcli

1. Connect to the ESXi host through SSH using root credentials.
  2. Run the following command: esxcli system settings advanced set -o /UserVars/SuppressShellWarning -i 0

Thanks, Paul, for sending in these tips!

Created on Feb 23, 2012 8:39:53 AM by  Daniel Zobel [Product Manager]

Last change on Mar 6, 2012 9:53:38 AM by  Daniel Zobel [Product Manager]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.