What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Use PRTG to report status to a SNMP receiver?

Votes:

Hi.

I have a question about forwarding SNMP message from PRTG.

But first: I created a WMI eventlog sensor. This sensor should check the event-log of a windows server if specific eventlog occurs.

We use this to monitor a backup tool. And all the events are reportet via e-mail to us.

This is not very comfortable but it works well. So I plan to use a Tool to concentrate all these messages to a separate dashboard instead of reading tons of mails.

And now, my question:

Is it possible to report the status of this (or any other) sensor with PRTG to a different server (e.g. one which is running a SNMP analysis tool)?

And is the following possible? I would like to create a custom SNMP report (e.g. send over SNMP the value 1 if event log entry with ID "1234" says "xyz" and send value "2" if the same event log says "abc") So that I can gather the status with a tool using SNMP?

Or is it only possible to "forward" a SNMP notification over PRTG?

Thanks very much for every help.

forward prtg snmp

Created on Feb 23, 2012 11:27:06 AM

1 Reply

Votes:

Hello,

theoretically you can enable the option "To Fire a Change Trigger" on a "SNMP Trap Receiver Sensor" in PRTG, and then use a Trap-Notification on the Change-Trigger on this very sensor. This could then include the trap message received by PRTG, but this will not forward the exact same trap I'm afraid. The trap sent from PRTG may not have all variable bindings as the original may have had.

best regards.

Created on Feb 23, 2012 5:51:17 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.