What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Weighted notifications for group of DNS servers

Votes:

In our network there are 3 DNS servers, one local and two centrally managed (far, far away). Regularly one of the remote DNS servers is taken down for maintenance or for other reasons not reachable, leading to notifications I am not interested in as long as only one of the servers is unavailable. When both of the remote DNS server are unvailable, I do want to be notified.

I would like to be able to send notifications based on availability of the servers within the group of DNS servers, and only have notificiations sent when only one DNS server is available. When only one of the servers is down I do not want to receive a notification.

A common way to implement a similar function is with a threshold and weights.

I don't think this is currently possible, so I guess this is now a feature request :-)

Thanks in advance.

group notifications weight

Created on Mar 1, 2012 9:12:02 AM

2 Replies

Accepted Answer

Votes:

This would be possible using the Status() function of the Sensor Factory sensors.

Created on Mar 1, 2012 3:26:05 PM by  Patrick Hutter [Paessler Support] (7,225) 3 3

Votes:

That works perfectly, nice!

It is a very powerful feature, I have already found several other uses for it, great ;-)

Thanks!

Created on Mar 6, 2012 4:27:14 PM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.