What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Why does my Cisco IP SLA sensor show "UP"?

Votes:

I have a simple ip sla as follows: ip sla 100 icmp-echo 192.xxx.xxx.xxx timeout 100 frequency 1 ip sla schedule 100 life forever start-time now

The destination ip is non-existent, so the stats show as follows:

Round Trip Time (RTT) for Index 100 Latest RTT: NoConnection/Busy/Timeout Latest operation start time: 10:53:42.717 BST Wed Mar 31 2010 Latest operation return code; Timeout Number of successes: 0 Number of failures: 1506 Operation time to live: Forever

QUESTION: In PRTG I have created the device, added a Cisco IP SLA sensor for, but it is showing as UP! not down as I would expect. What am I doing wrong? Thanks, Tim

cisco ip-sla prtg snmp

Created on Mar 31, 2010 9:59:56 AM

Last change on Mar 31, 2010 2:40:01 PM by  Daniel Zobel [Product Manager]

6 Replies

Accepted Answer

Votes:

the sensor in PRTG is configured on the device you set up the IP SLA on, and that device returns a value so the sensor shows as UP.

It does not mater if the returned value is 0 or something else.

Created on Mar 31, 2010 12:39:10 PM by  Aurelio Lombardi [Paessler Support]

Last change on Mar 31, 2010 12:39:31 PM by  Aurelio Lombardi [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Can someone explain how to configure the sensor so that it goes 'Down' and sends a notification if the ICMP Ping times out in the IP SLA?

Thanks!

Created on Jan 24, 2018 7:20:29 PM

Votes:

BlueMPaessler, thank you for the KB-Post. Which values does the IP-SLA Sensor show in that moment? If 0-values, would it be possible to work with a simple error limit then?

Created on Jan 25, 2018 9:57:27 AM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Actually, it returns no value at all and shows 'Error' during the IP SLA timeout.

Thanks!

Created on Jan 25, 2018 3:44:30 PM

Votes:

BlueMPaessler, can you share a screenshot showing the full error message of the sensors "Log"-Tab? Thank you!

Created on Jan 26, 2018 10:22:26 AM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Apologies. The sensor does in fact properly change to a 'Down' state and does properly send notifications when the IP SLA times out. All good here.

Thanks!

Created on Jan 26, 2018 8:08:04 PM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.