What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Monitor ESXi or vCenter 5.0.0 with PRTG 9.2.0

Votes:

Hello,

how can i monitor a single ESXi Host or better a complete vCenter? I create a new Device ESXi Host and then add sensor , but the VMWare sensors are greyed out.

.Net 4 is installed on my PRTG server. found this article https://www.paessler.com/vmware_monitor but it's not helpful.

SSH is normally disabled on a ESXi Host.

When i create a new device with my vCenter server the same.

thx d.

esxi vcenter vmware

Created on Mar 8, 2012 2:09:28 PM

10 Replies

Votes:

Hello,

are the necessary credentials provided in the 'Settings'-tab of the group/device in PRTG?

best regards.

Created on Mar 8, 2012 4:42:04 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hello,

yes.

when i go to the vCenter Server and add a new sensor it showes me "the parent device must be a VMware ESX or vCenter Server.."

but how can i configure a ESXi Host as a Child Host from a vCenter Host? The Parent Element is always a Group Element.

regards

Created on Mar 9, 2012 8:10:53 AM

Votes:

On the vcenter-Server device you only add sensors, no other devices. You can add sensors for the virtual machines and also for the ESX(i)-hosts there. But you need to use your active directory credentials and apply them in PRTG in the settings of the parent device.

Created on Mar 9, 2012 2:04:42 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

I can't select the ""VMware Host Server (SOAP)" or "VMware Virtual Machine (SOAP)" on my vCenter Server. For testing i used my Domain administrator login under the settings "Inherit Credentials for Windows Systems "of the vCenter server. i use this credentials when i work with vSphere Client on my vCenter Server.

on a ESXi Host i can select the sensor's but i receive an error "[prtg] [error]2[/error] [text]The session is not authenticated.[/text] [/prtg] " but i think that i s a snmp misconfiguration on ESXi side.

Created on Mar 12, 2012 9:09:48 AM

Votes:

I can't select the ""VMware Host Server (SOAP)" or "VMware Virtual Machine (SOAP)" on my vCenter Server. For testing i used my Domain administrator login under the settings "Inherit Credentials for Windows Systems "of the vCenter server. i use this credentials when i work with vSphere Client on my vCenter Server.

I have now activated snmp on ESXi with the Vmware vSphre CLI commandline vicfg-snmp.pl script. then i try some configurations in PRTG but receive always an error "[prtg] [error]2[/error] [text]The session is not authenticated.[/text] [/prtg] "

i try all ESXi Logins, try http and https settings , try our snmp community name and the public name. try all snmp versions 1,v2c,v3 bot no luck.

with telnet from PRTG server to ESXi on port 161 the connection failed. the firewall setting on the ESXi host is set to allow incoming traffic for SNMP on Port 161(UDP)

Created on Mar 12, 2012 9:49:29 AM

Votes:

please enter the same admin credentials in

Credentials for VMware/Xen server.

in your vCenter Server device.

Then please try again.

Created on Mar 12, 2012 9:51:09 AM by  Aurelio Lombardi [Paessler Support]

Votes:

I try the same admin credentials "Credentials for VMware/XEN Servers " and for "Credentials for Windows Systems" but the same error.

My configuration is now this:

Group "MyvCenter": - Credentials for Windows Systems Domain or Computer Name: mydomain Username: myusername (this user is a domain admin) password: xxxxx - Credentials for VMware/XEN Servers User: mydomain\myusername Password xxxxxxx VMware Protocol HTTPS (recommended)

-Credentials for Linux (SSH/WBEM) Systems Username: admin (a local login on ESXi) Login: Login via Password Password: xxxxxx For WBEM Use Protocol: HTTPS For WBEM Use Port: Set automatically (port 5988 or 5989)

Under this group i add my ESXi Host and inherit all Login data's from group "MyvCenter". When i select a new sensor "VMware Host Server (SOAP)" or "VMware Virtual Machine (SOAP)" on this ESXi host i receive the error:

[prtg] [error]2[/error] [text]The session is not authenticated.[/text] [/prtg]

Created on Mar 12, 2012 10:18:13 AM

Votes:

Hallo,

if you are adding virtual machine sensors or VMware host server sensors top your vCenter server device, your domain credentials have to be used in the credentials for VMware/Xen server

If the device you are trying to add sensors to is your ESX host itself, the credentials have to be used that you do normal use in your vSphere Client to log on to the server.

please open a ticket with support @paessler.com and maybe send some screenshots or provide access to your PRTG web interface so that we can take a look at it.

Created on Mar 12, 2012 6:34:05 PM by  Aurelio Lombardi [Paessler Support]

Votes:

thx

When i use the vCenter credentials for the "Credentials for VMware/XEN Servers " i can add the "VMware Host Server (SOAP)" and the "VMware Virtual Machine (SOAP)" sensor to my vCenter Server.

that's fine for me.

Created on Mar 13, 2012 11:02:19 AM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.