What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

English/dutch Sensor problems

Votes:

hi there,

Iam using the custom sensor "eventlogreader" to monitor my windows server backup 2008/2011

on english servers this is working great.

but somehow on my Dutch server it wont find the application section of event viewer.

iv tryed to edit the parameters to dutch"Toepassing" for application but this does not seem to work any1 got any idea's how to solve this problem?

Thanks in advance,

Shara

custom-sensor languageproblem prtg

Created on Mar 8, 2012 3:34:58 PM

9 Replies

Votes:

Hi Shara,

The trick here is to get the right name of the eventlog and the eventlog source. Looking at the eventlog entry should give you some hints.

I would go for "Toepassing" as the name of the eventlog and the text that is displayed where is says "Bron:" as the name of the eventlog source.

Regards,

Created on Mar 9, 2012 1:22:32 PM

Votes:

Well the problem is iv already tryed to use the term "Toepassing" as eventlog and as souch iam using Backup(this is the same in english as in dutch)

iam sure iam using the right term on each server the problem is iam getting the message that the eventlog cannot be found on the targeted PC

Created on Mar 9, 2012 3:08:32 PM

Votes:

Please run the sensor from the commandline, providing the -l switch. This will produce a comma seperated list of eventlog names for the target PC.

Eventlogreader -c=mycomputer -l

Regards,

Created on Mar 9, 2012 3:45:37 PM

Votes:

now iam going to ask a dump question i guess my sensor is a .exe file how can i run it from commandline?

Created on Mar 10, 2012 12:51:53 PM

Votes:

Hi Share,

I was under the assumption that you were using the EventlogReader sensor downloaded from the Google Code project. Sorry for the confusion.

Regards,

Created on Mar 12, 2012 12:05:06 PM

Votes:

ur not thinking wrong iam using that one but iam kinda new to the whole process of custom sensors i have tryed to figgure it out myself but iam just compleetly stuck on this matter

Created on Mar 12, 2012 1:32:35 PM

Votes:

Ok, no problem, open a command (cmd) window and navigate to the location where you placed the Custom Censor.

You could copy the Custom Sensor to c:\temp for testing, open the command window and type:

cd c:\temp

Next, in your command window, type

Eventlogreader.exe -c=mycomputer -l

Where "mycomputer" is the name or IP of the computer you are targeting This should produce a comma seperated list of eventlog names from that computer.

Regards,

Created on Mar 12, 2012 1:59:23 PM

Votes:

cmd gives me this Response not wellformed: "Active Directory Web Services,Toepassing,DFS Replication,Directoryservice,DNS-server,File Replication-service,Hardwaregebeurtenissen,Internet Explorer,Key Management Service,MSExchange Management,Beveiliging,Systeem,Windows PowerShell "

and if i try the sensor then it gives me the same error like before

if i put the same parameters in the sensor as i did in cmd it gives me

Response not wellformed: "Active Directory Web Services,Toepassing,DFS Replication,Directoryservice,DNS-server,File Replication-service,Hardwaregebeurtenissen,Internet Explorer,Key Management Service,MSExchange Management,Beveiliging,Systeem,Windows PowerShell "

aswell

Created on Mar 12, 2012 2:13:47 PM

Votes:

Ok, so the name of your eventlog is "Toepassing"

If you contact me directly, we can do this in Dutch and exchange some screenshots.

You can find my email address at: http://code.google.com/p/prtg-addons/wiki/PTF_Custom_Sensors In the left pane under "Send an Email"

Regards,

Created on Mar 12, 2012 4:37:24 PM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.