What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

SNMP Traffic Sensor error 2003

Votes:

I'm trying to add a SNMP Traffic Sensor to a Tellabs 8840 router port. It fails every time with error 2003: no response. I can successfully add a SNMP Uptime Sensor to this port and the PRTG SNMP Tester says everything is okay. I still have PRTG Traffic Grapher 6.2.2.984 installed on this same machine and the SNMP Traffic Sensor works fine on it.

Do you have any suggestions? Thanks, David

error-2003 prtg snmp

Created on Mar 8, 2012 9:02:13 PM

8 Replies

Votes:

Hi,
when using the SNMP Tester, can you scan for "Available Standard Interfaces" on the router? What response do you get?
Best regards

Created on Mar 9, 2012 9:24:13 AM by  Konstantin Wolff [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Thanks for the reply! When I scan for "Available Standard Interfaces," it scrolls and scrolls for a long time, then says:

Found standard interfaces: No standard interfaces found

Created on Mar 9, 2012 2:53:05 PM

Votes:

Hi,
can you please be more specific on the setup you have? So you have an old installation of PRTG 6 where the SNMP Traffic Sensor works and one newer PRTG on another machine where the Traffic Sensor fails?
Best Regards

Created on Mar 9, 2012 3:03:43 PM by  Konstantin Wolff [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Yes, I have an old installation of PRTG 6 where the SNMP Traffic Sensor works. I have installed PRTG 9 on the same machine and the traffic sensor fails. I am able to add a SNMP Uptime Sensor in PRTG 9 and it does work. Thanks for your help!

Created on Mar 9, 2012 3:11:15 PM

Votes:

Hi,
have you set the correct SNMP Information in the device settings in PRTG 9? The settings are to be found on the tab "Settings" of the device. Please remove the tick from "Inherit SNMP Credentials" and provide the data there. Then try ading the sensor again. Does that work?
Best regards

Created on Mar 9, 2012 3:22:58 PM by  Konstantin Wolff [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Same result. error 2003, no response. The Uptime Sensor is working fine in PRTG 9. Does the Uptime Sensor communicate with the port the same as the Traffic Sensor?

Thank you!

Created on Mar 9, 2012 3:30:42 PM

Votes:

Hmmm, ok this is getting strange.

Can you try additional scanning the device with SNMPUtil ( http:www.wtcs.org/snmp4tpc/testing.htm )?

SNMPUtil is a commandline tool, and you can scan for all available OIDs on the device.

Syntax for a complete scan is:

snmputil walk [IP address] [communits string] [Base OID]

would be for example:

snmputil walk yourIP private .1.3.6.1

writing the result to a file would be a call like this:

snmputil walk yourIP private .1.3.6.1 > myresult.txt

Can you send me the output via email to [email protected] ? Please send also screenshots of the SNMP configuration of PRTG 6 and also 9.

Created on Mar 9, 2012 3:35:57 PM by  Konstantin Wolff [Paessler Support]

Votes:

It took a while for SNMPUTIL to run, but I have emailed the results to you. Thanks!

Created on Mar 9, 2012 7:18:28 PM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.