What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Monitoring the IPs in Bandwidth Usage

Votes:

So I have a LAN that consists of several 3560 switches (which also acts as the gateway). I am trying to monitor the top talkers. I guess I can do this via port mirroring. So I mirror the port that goes to internet. My questions are,

1. What should be the destination for this port mirroring. If I forward this to the machine running PRTG, doesn't the PRTG system become unavailable. As the Cisco mirroring will make the IP of the PRTG server interface unreachable.

2. Can I have forward the mirrored traffic from the switch to a different interface of the server? Can PRTG read the traffic of the other NICs of the same server?

3. Last, once we get the traffic to the PRTG server, what needs to be done?

Vadi

cisco packet-sniffer prtg

Created on Mar 8, 2012 9:18:49 PM

1 Reply

Votes:

Hallo,

use a second nic in the PRTG server and connect the mirroring port to it.

Then create a packet sniffing sensor on your probe device, selecting the NIC the mirror port is connected to.

If you need to do this with several switches in different locations, you could use remote probes to connect the mirror ports to.

https://www.paessler.com/manuals/prtg9/remote_probes_and_multiple_probes.htm

Created on Mar 9, 2012 6:38:07 AM by  Aurelio Lombardi [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.