What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

PRTG sensor to show multiple event logs, not just the last one?

Votes:

Hi.

I want to monitor an application (e.g Backup Exec) which does log all relevant events to Windows event log.

At the moment, we are using one "WMI Event Log" sensor. So, if any event from this application (Backup Exec) is from the category "error" we see, that we may have to interact in any way...

But now I want to create a Web-Dashboard which does grab the PRTG sensor status using the PRTG API by HTTP request. But I need to get all error/warning/info messages found in a desired time period (e.g 20:00 to 8:00). And this sensor must return all messages found in the desired period (not just a number of events found, it MUST include the message itself).

Normally I could store the messages in a database (or what ever) to collect them using the Dashboard-Webserver (just get the sensore status in a short intervall).

But it happens that a lot of eventlogs are written in just a few seconds (far away from senseful scanning intervall of a WMI Sensor).

So, is there a possibility to create a Event-Log sensor which does not just store the last message found? Custome sensor? Or whatever?

The applications to monitor are able to send SNMP traps and Mails too. And I truly don't want to create tons of sensors (we are monitoring a log of customers with PRTG).

api custom-sensor wmi

Created on Mar 12, 2012 1:49:44 PM

5 Replies

Votes:

Hello,

I'm afraid you can only try a custom sensor here which stores all the messages in an external file.

best regards.

Created on Mar 12, 2012 5:00:05 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

And what's about using SNMP sensors? But with SNMP, it's more complicated because Backup Exec and Symantec System Recovery are sending strings over SNMP.

And I guess that the SNMP sensor does also just store the last message received... Right?

So ther wouldn't be an out of the box alternative?

Created on Mar 20, 2012 7:36:29 AM

Votes:

Sorry, no there is no out of the box solution for this.

Created on Mar 20, 2012 12:28:42 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Ok, hmm maybe it works just running a script an get the event logs in a desired period. Then I just need to download this file (I'm using PHP curl).

But one qeustions rests, is there a good reason why Windows API Event Log sensors are not working if I just filter the Event-ID's?

I did setup a sensor (for testing something). And I need a sensor which sensors multple Event-ID's. But it did not find anything, but the event ID and the categroy (the only filters set) were set-up correctli.

If I did just a string-search it worked. I'm using Version 9.2.0.2170.

Created on Mar 20, 2012 1:31:04 PM

Votes:

The Windows API Eventlog sensors may simply have a bug there, we will look into this.

Created on Mar 20, 2012 1:34:47 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.