What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Monitoring RAID/disk hw on ESXi 5

Votes:

Hi,

Disclaimer: I realize there are a lot of questions on this already, but none seem to formulate the question quite clearly.

Q: How do I monitor my RAID/disks on an ESXi 5 from PRTG, reliably?

I can't see any sensor on this in the VMWare Host SOAP or any other built in sensor.

I can't find any good information on using SNMP/SNMP traps to do this. I can enable it on the ESXi, but I'm new to SNMP and find the PRTG SNMP Trap reciever to be a bit unresponsive... I can get it to send traps to another computer with another reciever, but the PRTG sensor won't pick them up. (No FW issues)

It would seem there is a need for an article on how to set this up, perhaps even improved sensors/scripts for this in the PRTG community.

esxi hardware-monitoring raid vmware

Created on Mar 27, 2012 12:47:11 PM

3 Replies

Votes:

Hello,

the status of the RAID can be shown by dedicated sensors as of PRTG 12.x.4; please see HP ProLiant System Health Sensors.

But the traps should also work, to check this it may be good to send us a screenshot showing the settings of the trap sensor in PRTG and a Wireshark capture file when such a trap is received on the PRTG host.

best regards.

Created on Mar 28, 2012 12:28:47 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Last change on Jan 10, 2014 3:50:20 PM by  Gerald Schoch [Paessler Support]

Votes:

The Workaround is very simple and how followed.

1.HP RSM CLI (Commandline-Tool):

The Tool is free and you can get and save all Hardware-Infos from an specified HP-Server in a local XML-File. We have create on the central management a Batchjob was get all Infos to one XML-File per physical Server. The Tool supports also an Filter-Tag, is a must to filter here for SA only for RAID and HDD States.

2.PRTG File Content Sensor:

We define here for each Physical Server a Sensor and look here for the Content "Logical Disk is operating properly". Find PRTG this Content not the sensor goes to Warning and trigger an Email. The Information about the logical Drive is on each HP-Server identical and we need here no more Info, exist a Problem we must look for Details on the Hardware.

3.Additional Tips:

We use in our Solutions more Features how followed because you cannot sync PRTG and your Batch-Job. So in you can have the Problem that the HP-Tool write to the XML-File and PRTG cannot access this File and put the Sensor to down.

Here is our Solution for this:

1.Start Batch 2.HP -Tool get Info to C:\LOGGING\IF\PHYS\HP\SERVERNAME_TEMP.XML 3.Del C:\LOGGING\IF\PHYS\HP\SERVERNAME.XML 4.Ren C:\LOGGING\IF\PHYS\HP\SERVERNAME_TEMP.XML SERVERNAME.XML

So the HP-Tool have time to write in the temporary XML-File and PRTG can read in the last Produktion-XML of the File. Is the HP-Tool complete, we delete the last version of the Produktion-XML-File and rename the temporary XML-File to produktive Name.

Hope this help.

Best Regards Guido Kuehler

Created on Apr 21, 2012 7:57:42 AM

Votes:

Thank you for your good description.
Another way to circumvent the syncronisation-problem between PRTG and the batchjob is to use a custom-exe/exexml-sensor.
You can write a batch- / vbs- or powershellscript that itself runs the cli-command and parses the result you want to monitor and returns the necessary value(s) to PRTG.

Created on May 11, 2012 8:02:30 AM by  Dieter Loskarn [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.