What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

WMI with Hyper-V Dynamic Memory

Votes:

I am trying to monitor a large number of Hyper-V virtual machines most of which use Dynamic Memory. I want to be able to capture when and how often Hyper-V adds/subtracts RAM to any given VM. That way I can better trend/track my memory allocation and know what virtual machines are demanding the most over any given time period.

I think I can do this with a perfmon counter, but can’t figure out how to translate that to a WMI (or other) PRTG sensor.

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks

hyper-v memory ram wmi

Created on Mar 29, 2012 1:41:48 PM

3 Replies

Votes:

Hello,

have you had a look at: How do I properly configure a WMI custom sensor?

best regards.

Created on Mar 29, 2012 4:37:35 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

I suppose my real issue is I can’t figure out what to monitor. There is a perfmon counter for Added Memory and Removed memory, but I can’t figure out where to go in WMI to find those.

I realize this is not specifically a PRTG issue, but I was hoping someone watching the forum could at least point me in the right direction.

Thanks again.

Created on Mar 29, 2012 4:45:34 PM

Votes:

You need to "access" these counters with such a "WMI Custom" Sensor. Or maybe a VB Script running as a Custom Exe Sensor.

Created on Mar 29, 2012 4:52:42 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.