What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Route table via SNMP

Votes:

i would like to use snmp oid queries to build a routing table from a router. As well, an arp table. Is this possible with prtg? Thanks.

arp prtg table

Created on Apr 6, 2012 4:20:22 PM

11 Replies

Votes:

hallo,

this is not possible out of the box at the moment, sorry.

Created on Apr 7, 2012 1:28:22 PM by  Aurelio Lombardi [Paessler Support]

Votes:

What about handling string values for a custom sensor? Is this possible? Thank you.

Created on Apr 16, 2012 1:26:32 PM

Votes:

Hallo,

did you take a look at the SNMP Custom String sensor already?

https://www.paessler.com/manuals/prtg9/snmp_custom_string_sensor.htm

Created on Apr 18, 2012 4:53:34 AM by  Aurelio Lombardi [Paessler Support]

Votes:

I did look at it. However it handles single oid values only, which won't help with a table. Is there going to be support for string values with an exe/script sensor? We have written a script that will pull the values and put them in a table, and we have that set up as a exe/script sensor, but while PRTG does return the values, it sets the sensor to an error state for a "Response not wellformed" reason. Is this a limitation of PRTG or of the formatting we are passing? Thanks.

Created on Apr 18, 2012 1:42:31 PM

Votes:

Hallo,

in the sensor settings, select "write EXE result to disk"

then send the script and the result to

[email protected]

Created on Apr 22, 2012 8:50:34 AM by  Aurelio Lombardi [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Can you tell me where to get the result, please? I have checked the system32\logfiles directory as well as the prtg installation directory for any text files created once I enabled write exe result to disk and do not see anything. Thanks.

Created on Apr 22, 2012 2:00:01 PM

Votes:

hallo,

the file should be in the Logs (system) folder

XP/2003: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Paessler\PRTG Network Monitor\Logs (System)

Vista/2008: C:\ProgramData\Paessler\PRTG Network Monitor\Logs (System)

Created on Apr 23, 2012 7:10:41 AM by  Aurelio Lombardi [Paessler Support]

Votes:

I emailed the requested items yesterday. Can confirm receipt?

Created on Apr 24, 2012 10:29:38 PM

Votes:

we got the files and are looking at them at the moment.

Created on Apr 25, 2012 8:21:52 AM by  Aurelio Lombardi [Paessler Support]

Votes:

I received an email today that stated, "I doubt that we will see this any time soon, sorry." Can you please tell me, is this a limitation of PRTG or of the formatting we are passing? Specifically, with respect to the question of the sensor, when PRTG does return the values, it sets the sensor to an error state for a "Response not wellformed" reason. Thanks.

Created on May 3, 2012 6:19:48 PM

Votes:

Hallo,

the longer answer is this.

please take a look at the API documentation abut the form a standard EXE/Script sensor or an Advanced EXE/Script Sensor need to return data for PRTG being able to read it. For more information, see PRTG Manual: Custom Sensors.

PRTG can not interpreter or display all the information in the txt the script returns.

The logic to analyze the files and to compare them must be within the script.

Similar to the File Content Sensor that is already available and partially does what you are looking for.

Created on May 4, 2012 10:15:15 AM by  Aurelio Lombardi [Paessler Support]

Last change on Jul 18, 2018 1:39:01 PM by  Brandy Greger [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.