What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Interval, timeout and count on monitor service/protocols.

Votes:

I would like to know what the best interval/timeout and count time is for the sensors.

I already read that wmi should not go below 30sec and the custom 30 sec should be good.

But is this for all the types of services and protocols that monitors? Like snmp/ping/pop3/ftp/wmi ect?

advice different-protocols-and-services time-of-interval

Created on Apr 10, 2012 9:07:28 AM

1 Reply

Votes:

Hi,
I'm afraid this is a very tricky one. There is no best practice for setting up scanning intervals as this would depend too much on the number of sensors and sensor types.
A good rule of thumb is, the more sensors you use the longer the scanning interval should be but again, it totally depends on the number and types of sensors.
For SNMP sensors in general a lower scanning interval is possible as fo WMI sensors. You additional may consider choosing different scanning intervals based on the priority of the monitored systems.
Best regards

Created on Apr 10, 2012 9:24:06 AM by  Konstantin Wolff [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.