What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

How to monitor Windows Update Status via WMI?

Votes:

Is it possible to monitor, when the last Windows Update was made on a computer?

prtg windows wmi

Created on Apr 6, 2010 8:51:20 AM

Last change on Mar 11, 2011 10:13:38 AM by  Daniel Zobel [Product Manager]

3 Replies

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Important note: The Windows Last Update (Remote Registry) sensor is deprecated as of PRTG version 16.1.23.

Please see the following article for more details and possible alternatives:

Please use the Windows Last Update sensor, available as of PRTG version 8.3. Note: You have to enable the remote registry service on the target machine in order for this sensor to work correctly.

Alternatively, you can use the Windows Updates Status (Powershell) sensor, available as of PRTG version 13.x.6.

Enable Remote Registry Service

The sensor uses a remote registry call to query the last time Windows update has run. For this remote registry call to work, the Remote Registry service has to be enabled on the target machine.

See Also

How do I enable the Remote Registry Service on a Windows PC?

Created on Mar 11, 2011 10:13:12 AM by  Daniel Zobel [Product Manager]

Last change on Mar 21, 2016 5:29:50 PM by  Gerald Schoch [Paessler Support]

Votes:

I am still getting the error "0:Could not determine the last time Windows Update has updated computer 127.0.0.1 " even after updating .net 4 to the point where there are no windows updates left to run... I have also restarted the remote registry service. This sensor is on the server running the remote probe service. Any ideas?

Many Thanks!

Created on Dec 2, 2011 4:41:34 PM

Votes:

I'm afraid the sensor only works with Automatic Windows Updates. Not manual ones.

Created on Dec 2, 2011 4:59:09 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.