What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Remote Probes stop working

Votes:

I have over 500 sensors across 200 remote probes on a test box I set up. Starting yesterday several probes were suddenly not able to connect. In the logs on the remote probes I get the following: " Login NOT OK: Access denied by IP filter!"

Now, these probes have been working for almost a month now with no problem, and we manage the network that they're on so I know that no changes have been made. In an effort to trouble shoot, I shut down prtg and restarted the physical server.

When it came back up an additional 8 probes could not connect, all with the same error. These probes were all working fine at the time of the reboot.

I have to stress that we manage the networks that the remote probes are using so I know we have made no changes. Also, with the additional 8 probes that couldn't connect after reboot with the same log message, I feel confident that the problem is with prtg itself. But that's a guess at this time.

We have 9 days left on our full trial version. I really need to know what this issue is or I can't recommend purchasing prtg.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

access-denied-by-ip-filter prtg remote-probe

Created on Apr 12, 2012 6:40:56 PM

1 Reply

Votes:

Hello,

the error " Login NOT OK: Access denied by IP filter!" means that the (external) IP of the Probe host is not within the Allowed IPs list under Setup->System Administration->Probes in the Webinterface of the PRTG Core.

best regards.

Created on Apr 13, 2012 1:09:40 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.