What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Add State Trigger to Multiple Sensors

Votes:

I need to add a state trigger to many sensors. Is there some way of doing this without going into the notification settings of each required sensor and adding it as this is very time consuming.

I notice I can select a number of sensors under a device and delete, pause etc but cannot change notification settings on many at once.

multiple sensors state-trigger

Created on Apr 13, 2012 1:16:37 AM

5 Replies

Votes:

Hello,

I'm sorry but adding a trigger to several sensors at once is just not possible. Please bear in mind though, that triggers can also be inherited (and by default are) if defined on group level or device level.

best regards.

Created on Apr 13, 2012 1:55:23 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

You should have this feature because now it is going to take me weeks to go through every sensor to add specific notifications.

Created on Apr 16, 2012 1:02:41 AM

Votes:

It's on the wishlist but not so easy to implement as one might think. In addition to that usually working with inherited State Triggers and maybe also using the Multi-Edit to set such Limits on several sensors at once (and so potentially 'replacing' Threshold/Speed/Volume-Triggers) does work quite well.

Created on Apr 16, 2012 12:41:53 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

I have many dozens of containers and many hundreds of sensors. It would be great to have a way to select all the "desired" sensors and have the notification "cloned" or "applied" to all the ones selected similar to a "multi-edit" function.

Setting all these sensors up manually is very time consuming. Switching to PRTG from another monitoring system such as WUG would be much simpler if the notifications (once defined within PRTG) could be applied to all sensors of a similar type.

E.G. NOTIFY-POLICY#1 2 minute down notifications(email only), then 30 minute notify to (text & email) members, etc etc and escalate at the next time interval as needed.

Then take NOTIFY-POLICY#1 and apply it to 700 sensors selected by the PRTG user setting up the notifications. And have the NOTIFY-POLICY#1 available for future sensors to make it easy to apply multiple levels of notifications across all situations just by applying the policy to a device or sensor.

For example: You have a GROUP container and you use auto-discovery protocol and it picks up 104 sensors running on your device. You only want the PING down notification sent and perhaps that one Threshold event sent on that bandwidth < 20% item. You never want to it to automatically just inherit the GROUP level notification so that you get 104 alerts to email or to TEXT(cellphone) plus the (104 alerts) for every other device within that particular GROUP.

Having something similar to a ALERT POLICY would be ideal in these situations because you could perhaps setup FAVORITE SENSORS or DEVICES and then apply whatever POLICY for notification that works best for your situation.

Created on Feb 26, 2014 8:27:50 PM

Votes:

That can exactly be done with Libraries. Just create a Library to the "Notify Policy1" and add all sensors that shall use this policy. You could use tags to add/filter sensors into the library then.

Created on Feb 27, 2014 2:33:40 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.