What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Display IP address next to device name

Votes:

I would like to display the IP address of the device next to the device name in a group view. Would it be possible? Thanks a lot.

device ip-address prtg

Created on Apr 23, 2012 3:48:49 AM

Best Answer

Accepted Answer

Votes:

I've opened a feature request thread in the KB for this. Please visit it and vote for it: Feature Request: Display IP address next to device name Please be aware that replies to Feature Request Threads won't be published. We'll be happy to add details to a Feature Request though, that can be from emails sent to referring to a certain thread or from a post reply (which will then be left unpublished).

Created on Feb 12, 2019 10:33:42 AM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

12 Replies

Votes:

i think right now you have added this option, but i was wondering how can i show the ip address next to the dns name as well. thanks in advance

Created on Jan 28, 2014 9:52:33 PM

Votes:

Was this feature ever added? I would like to see IP address somewhere of resolved hostname.

Created on Aug 17, 2015 4:42:29 PM

Votes:

Dear jhubbard

This feature has not been added. PRTG still shows the host name if the device address is given as host name. We decided to not add an option to have PRTG resolve host names to show the IP next to the device.

Created on Aug 19, 2015 11:53:22 AM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Is it in pipeline.. need this feature.

Created on Feb 20, 2018 8:54:18 AM

Votes:

There are no concrete plans for this I'm afraid, as you can see, there's been very little requests for it over the years.

Created on Feb 20, 2018 1:22:26 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Here at least two more post asking for the same functionality. On my side I need this fonction, is anyone know how to do a report with IP adresses?? I tried the API didn't show IP adresses only DNS name..

https://kb.paessler.com/en/topic/19493-how-can-i-get-a-report-of-all-devices-and-ip-addresses

https://kb.paessler.com/en/topic/78289-how-can-i-report-with-all-devices-and-ip-address-in-prtg

Created on Aug 6, 2018 8:20:46 PM

Votes:

We always have to weigh requests against 200,000 installations of our software, so while indeed there are a few more requests, the total number is still very low.
If hostnames/FQDNs are used in PRTG, then it cannot show the IPs. An approach may be getting the list of hostnames instead from the API, and then translating these into IPs with a self-written script.

Created on Aug 7, 2018 11:59:48 AM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

+1

Created on Feb 11, 2019 8:06:15 PM

Accepted Answer

Votes:

I've opened a feature request thread in the KB for this. Please visit it and vote for it: Feature Request: Display IP address next to device name Please be aware that replies to Feature Request Threads won't be published. We'll be happy to add details to a Feature Request though, that can be from emails sent to referring to a certain thread or from a post reply (which will then be left unpublished).

Created on Feb 12, 2019 10:33:42 AM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

I agree this feature would be nice to have. I'm curious, why wouldn't you want to also know the ip address of a device? It seems odd to me that a network monitoring application that displays so much information, doesn't Display a simple yet quite important piece of information. For example, i just did a scan of a subnet that also has some printers on it. We usually don't bother changing the host name of the printer so in my PRTG dashboard i have a bunch of host names that mean nothing. It would be nice to be able to know the ip of that device so i can go and fix the host name. I know there's other ways of going about this, but seeing it in PRTG would help.

I already up voted the feature request.

thanks

Created on Apr 5, 2019 1:58:35 PM

Votes:

Has this feature been enabled?

If I create a discovery group based on DNS search, how can I know the IP address of the devices found?

Created on Jan 14, 2022 9:51:19 PM

Votes:

Hi there,

This feature request is still in progress. As an workaround, you can also use the "System Information" tab from your device to receive the ip address.

Created on Jan 18, 2022 11:54:52 AM by  Moritz Heller [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.