What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Getting an error when returning XML from custom sensor

Votes:

Custom EXEXML sensor written, getting the following error: "Error reading response: missing /prtg"

But the output of running the exe at the command line is the following

<prtg>
    <result>
        <channel>Data Engine 1</channel>
            <Value>0</Value>
    </result>
    <result>
        <channel>Client Status</channel>
            <Value>0</Value>
    </result>
    <result>
        <channel>Document Generation</channel>
            <Value>0</Value>
    </result>
    <result>
        <channel>Importer Engine</channel>
            <Value>0</Value>
    </result>
    <result>
        <channel>Data Engine 2</channel>
            <Value>0</Value>
    </result>
    <result>
        <channel>Data Engine 3</channel>
            <Value>1</Value>
    </result>
</prtg>

any help is appreciated. Thx.

advanced custom-sensor xml

Created on Apr 23, 2012 4:30:45 PM

7 Replies

Votes:

Hello,

can you please enable the option in the sensor so that it writes its last result into a logfile on disk? Then please check this one (it's stored in the "Logs (System)"-folder in PRTGs data directory).

best regards.

Created on Apr 23, 2012 5:03:58 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Thanks, Looking at the logs helped me troubleshoot the issue myself. Maybe do that first next time? Ha.

Created on Apr 24, 2012 1:16:29 PM

Votes:

I'm receiving the very same error-message. For testing purposes I've written a c# program that outputs the same XML. In the Settings-tab of the sensor I've selected "Write EXE result to disk", but no logfile appears in the Logs (System) folder. As far as I can check the necessary security settings are set on the folder(s).

Created on May 4, 2012 10:13:12 AM

Votes:

I'm encountering the very same error with a self-written EXEXML sensor. Basically it's a test-app that writes out the XML to the console, just like SQLspXML.exe.

A sensor calling the SQLSpXML.exe does work (gives an error where I expect it to give one, gives result where i expect the result).

Moreover, when I create a batchfile in the EXEXML folder which launches the SQLspXML.exe with the arguments from above sensor I get the same error: "Error reading response: missing /prtg".

Second problem is that I don't seem to get the logfile in the Log (System) folder in ProgramData after selecting "Write EXE result to disk"

My Question: what's so specific about the accompanied SQLspXML.exe that I overlook?

Created on May 4, 2012 10:52:53 AM

Votes:

Hi,
what are the outputs of the batch file and also of the C# program when run in a console?
Can you please post the outputs?
Best reagrds

Created on May 4, 2012 11:15:39 AM by  Konstantin Wolff [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi

And what is the solution? I have the same problems.

Best regards

Created on Jan 16, 2013 12:21:53 AM

Votes:

@MarkusS: May you please post the commandline output of the script/EXE file?

Created on Jan 16, 2013 7:18:19 AM by  Konstantin Wolff [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.