What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Password for ADO SQL connectionstring

Votes:

I want to create a ADO SQL Sensor using the psqlODBC driver (PostgressQL). My connectionstring looks as follows (changed sensitive info):

Driver={PostgreSQL ANSI};Password=aBcD*+.&B;Server=10.10.1.10;Port=5432;Database=test;Uid=test_user;

It looks ok but the user can not authenticate. I have tested with other SQL tools on same machine with no issues. I believe it is caused but the special characters in the password. I have tried & to escape but no result. I have tried single and double quotes around the password but that doesn't work.

Any ideas how to solve this issue?

ado postgres prtg sql

Created on Apr 24, 2012 11:55:45 AM

3 Replies

Votes:

Hello,

if you save the connection string in the Settings of the sensor, and then view it again, is it still complete?

best regards.

Created on Apr 24, 2012 5:43:43 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Update: I discovered that a certain moment it was working with & as escape code but it seems that PRTG is adding extra SQL queries. My query was SELECT COUNT(*) FROM Database but PRTG also send the query select * from database. Because database is large and remote located it can take many minutes to complete this query, at least more than the 60 seconds sensor update rate. Effectively there wil contninues traffic to the database and never a response for the sensor.

So now I moved tp a custom sensor written in .net That is working.

Created on Apr 24, 2012 5:49:54 PM

Votes:

WWT de Beer,

Would you mind sharing the custom sensor you created? I have a large postgres install base that I need to monitor.

Thanks.

Created on Nov 30, 2012 4:37:40 PM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.