What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Get Number of Total Alerts in PRTG

Votes:

I want to write a custom notification that updates an LCD wall board. What placeholder or method can I use to get the total number of "down" alerts?

alerts prtg sum total

Created on Apr 6, 2010 7:39:44 PM

Last change on Apr 7, 2010 8:29:14 AM by  Daniel Zobel [Product Manager]

1 Reply

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Dear Benjamin,

this should be possible by creating your own API function in combination with an HTTP Content sensor.

You can write the total number of down sensors to an HTML file and then read it using an HTTP Content sensor. The value will then be the HTTP sensor's value which you can process further.

You will find details about this procedure in Dirk's reply to the question Can I create a sensor to monitor the number of paused or unknown sensors?

In Gerard's reply to the question linked above, you will also find information about a custom sensor "SensorCount" which does it easier.

See also What placeholders can I use with PRTG?

Created on Apr 7, 2010 8:23:23 AM by  Daniel Zobel [Product Manager]

Last change on Apr 7, 2010 8:37:24 AM by  Daniel Zobel [Product Manager]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.