What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Firewall blocks PRTG scans

Votes:

I have to put the PRTG monitor server behind a firewall. Now I can only monitor ICMP/PING. Which ports should be allowed in the Firewall to be able to scan Hyper-V and VMware VMs behind the firewall? I would like to read WMI counters, SNMP traffic, SQL2005 processes and running processes in the VMs. But also I need to be able to authenticate at Windows OS level and SQL level within the VM in order to read all system counters.

firewall ports snmp sql-server-2005 sql-server-login wmi

Created on Apr 25, 2012 8:06:08 AM

4 Replies

Votes:

Hi,
please see the list of ports discussed in this article. In general it is hard to say which ports have to be allowed in a firewall as this is strongly depends on the monitored services. In your case you might consider using a remote probe as this would only require one port to opened.
Best regards

Created on Apr 25, 2012 8:19:27 AM by  Konstantin Wolff [Paessler Support]

Last change on Aug 13, 2014 4:38:06 PM by  Gerald Schoch [Paessler Support]

Votes:

The servers are in a DMZ and Security Policy prevent us from putting a probe in the DMZ.

Created on Apr 25, 2012 8:22:14 AM

Votes:

So which ports should be opened to read: - WMI system counters - SQL Server 2005 and 2008 system counters - Running processes in the Windows 2003 + Windows 2008 servers - standard Windows System Cuunters (CPU, Memory, Disk I/Os) - Network traffic in Windows Systems

Thanks.

Created on Apr 25, 2012 8:27:07 AM

Votes:

Hi,
the sensors you mention are all covered with WMI, so all you should need is RPC port (TCP 135). Please refer also to the MS Knowledgebase for further details as there alos might be involved High Ports.
Best regards

Created on Apr 25, 2012 8:59:42 AM by  Konstantin Wolff [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.