What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Version 6. Server crash PRTG working, but lost most of my history

Votes:

I had a "server interruption", and did not have a backup. When the server was recovered (loose term), PRTG (6) works, but I have lost my 365 day history. I only have my 30 day. I do see the folders and files for the history dates in my PRTG folder.

I need to rebuild the server soon. But before I do that, I wanted to try and get my historical data back, and then either move the installation to another server, or wait until I rebuild this server, and then reinstall PRTG and restore my data. Is there a way to (should I) put PRTG 7 on the new server and restore my info from ver 6. Can this be done?

Any help with these two issues would be much appreciated.

Thanks...

corrupt database history move prtg6 traffic-grapher

Created on Apr 7, 2010 3:07:34 PM

Last change on Apr 8, 2010 8:13:59 AM by  Daniel Zobel [Product Manager]

4 Replies

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Hello,

if the old data-files are still existing, you could try (in PRTG 6) to Recalculate the Data Cache (see PRTG 6 - System Settings).

If you want to upgrade to PRTG 7 right away (and the data files are still existing as well), you could simply try to use the Import tool of PRTG 7 to get all data into PRTG 7 (with the known limitations: How do I Import Data from PRTG Traffic Grapher 6 or IPCheck Server Monitor 5 in PRTG Network Monitor)

Best Regards.

Created on Apr 7, 2010 3:54:31 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Last change on Apr 8, 2010 8:13:41 AM by  Daniel Zobel [Product Manager]

Votes:

Thank you for the reply. I just did the recalculate. I think my issue is with the actual data (corrupted data) in the database. If I look at some of the numbers they are astronomically high and don't correlate to any others. I am POSITIVE this is a result of the crash. Is there a way I can just deletes a few days of data (or delete the actual bad data) from the DB.

I think what is happening is that the numbers of the corrupt data are so high, that it throws the scale of the graphs off. So I see two REALLY big spikes, and the rest appears as a flat line. If I could get rid of the spikes, I think the graph would "come back to life" .

Thoughts? Comments?

Thanks again.

Created on Apr 8, 2010 4:01:15 PM

Votes:

Hello,

you could either try using the Spike Filter (see Advanced Sensor Settings), or of course delete the data files for those specific days. When using the 2nd option, you will have to recalculate the graph data cache again.

Best Regards.

Created on Apr 8, 2010 4:20:21 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Thank you. I deleted a few of the "corrupted" days and it works fine. Thank you.

Created on Apr 9, 2010 3:02:57 PM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.