What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Can I set a user to only see certain probes?

Votes:

I am setting PRTG up to monitor our client sites. So far I am VERY impressed and have started to tweak the set up as we would like. What I would like to know is, can I set a user up for a client site so they can login to the web interface and ONLY see their site? I've just tried it with a client who we know very well and is happy for us to test with, but when I use the short-cut to just their probe group it says it is invalid when I login using his details.

prtg security user-interface

Created on Apr 29, 2012 12:42:49 PM

3 Replies

Votes:

Hi,
what you want to achieve can be done by setting explicit read/write permissions for different user groups. Please see this manual section for details and further reading.
Best regards

Created on Apr 30, 2012 9:04:04 AM by  Konstantin Wolff [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Thanks for the reply. I've changed the two clients I'm testing with (Company1 & Company2 for the sake of this reply). On my installation tree I have Root, then 3 sub branches: Our own internal Devices & Probes Company1 Devices & probes Company2 Device & Probes

Changing our own local probe specifically so it can't be seen by Company1 & 2 User groups doesn't appear to work. When I login using a Company1 user details, they cannot see Company2 (As expected) but CAN see Root and our own internal probes?

Created on Apr 30, 2012 10:57:53 AM

Votes:

Hi,
please try the following. Remove all access rights except the one for the Administrators Group and then set explicit access rights for one of your probes (e.g. Company 2). These permissions should be read only. Please make also sure the user you are using is a read only user.
Best regards

Created on Apr 30, 2012 11:02:59 AM by  Konstantin Wolff [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.