What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Can I add event descriptions on an alarm or graph?

Votes:

Hi, first of all thank you for this great product.

We have a tiny problem, that ve if it's not of your business, I think it could be really helpful:

We have a Datacenter with people monitoring all the time the PRTG sensors. When there´s a problem with one, for example a ping sensor monitoring communications to a branch office went down or have high latency, the Datacenter starts to diagnose what is the problem.

The thing is that monthly we need to make a report, and when someone looks at the graph and asks what happened in a special alarm event during a lapse of time, is kind of hard to remember what happened at that time. (even more if the report is from 3 months or older). I think if it´s possible for you to add like a tag timeline, where when something happens you click on the graph or something on that specific time and write down a small description of what happened (even a ticket number). Or when a traffic sensor shows a unusual behavior, the operator can clic on that part and add a small description of what he found. Or something like the description you can write down when you pause a sensor.

I know it´s kind of a long shot to ask you this, but hey...may be you like the idea or have a better one already working and I don't know it.

events reports tags

Created on May 3, 2012 4:59:33 PM

Best Answer

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Hi,

Please count +1 vote on this request! We also have similar problems. We are trying to generate monthly reports from the monitoring data, and it would be really nice to show a description of the outages. Also would be brilliant if we could exclude certain outages from the SLA calculation if we eg. find out that it was due to an error on the customer side.

Thanks,

Created on May 4, 2012 8:15:35 AM

3 Replies

Votes:

Hello,

this is on the wish-list but not set for a certain version. But your vote has of course been counted!

best regards.

Created on May 3, 2012 6:39:21 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Hi,

Please count +1 vote on this request! We also have similar problems. We are trying to generate monthly reports from the monitoring data, and it would be really nice to show a description of the outages. Also would be brilliant if we could exclude certain outages from the SLA calculation if we eg. find out that it was due to an error on the customer side.

Thanks,

Created on May 4, 2012 8:15:35 AM

Votes:

Thank you for your answer, I really hope this could be added on a next version. with this , now I have 2 features pending on the wish list. :( Hopefully people can read this and add a vote!

Created on May 4, 2012 1:10:15 PM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.