What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Monitor Windows process with SNMP

Votes:

I need to monitor a specific processes (xyz.exe) running on a Windows server. I need to verify it is running. (This is not a service, just a running application.)

Using the host.mib from the Windows\system32 folder, I was able to build an SNMP lib to verify the process is running (actually it checks the amount of memory allocated to the process.)

However, if the process is stopped and restarted, the sensor can no longer find the process. I believe this is because each running process has a unique snmp OID, once restarted the OID changes and the sensor can't find the old OID.

I do not want to run WMI because of the overhead on the probe and device.

Is there a way to make this work with SNMP? Thanks

monitor process snmp windows

Created on May 4, 2012 6:31:32 PM

1 Reply

Votes:

Hi,
I'm afraid I'm not aware of any native Windows solution to this issue. But you may have a look at SNMP Informant, which will give you the possibility to monitor Windows Systems with SNMP and fixed OIDs.
Best regards

Created on May 7, 2012 7:26:43 AM by  Konstantin Wolff [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.