What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

how to monitor the newest file in a directory

Votes:

I want to monitor the newest file in a windows directory and if it is older than 5 minutes i want to get an error message. Is this possible? thank you!

Kind Regards Achim

directory newest-file wmi

Created on May 9, 2012 5:05:21 PM

Best Answer

Accepted Answer

Votes:

You just need to create a Threshold Trigger with:

When Newest File channel is Above 300 for at least 60 seconds perform Mail to admin

This will send an "mail to admin" if the newest file channel has a value higher than 300s (i.e. 5 minutes) for at least 60s.

Created on May 10, 2012 11:43:26 AM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

5 Replies

Votes:

Hello,

yes this should be possible using the Folder Sensor and an according trigger.

best regards.

Created on May 9, 2012 6:02:24 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Thank you for your fast reply!

I already tried it with this but i can only choose between "older than" or "newer than" for all files in a directory. I only want to monitor the newest file in a directory and to get a message if the newest file in this directory is older than 5 minutes.

Thanks!

Created on May 9, 2012 6:38:06 PM

Votes:

Thank you!

best regards

Created on May 10, 2012 9:09:50 AM

Accepted Answer

Votes:

You just need to create a Threshold Trigger with:

When Newest File channel is Above 300 for at least 60 seconds perform Mail to admin

This will send an "mail to admin" if the newest file channel has a value higher than 300s (i.e. 5 minutes) for at least 60s.

Created on May 10, 2012 11:43:26 AM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

That's it!!

Thank you very much!

Created on May 10, 2012 12:26:48 PM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.