What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Measure IOPS within Windows.

Votes:

We're preparing to migrate to a virtual environment. During this preparation, we've done several short term tests to measure the IOPS of our servers.

I'd like to setup a monitor for the IOPS of several servers and have this be a constant measurement.

What is preferred to do this? Please advise.

iops san windows

Created on May 11, 2012 3:53:38 PM

2 Replies

Votes:

Hello,

I'm afraid there are no exact "IOPS-Sensors" in PRTG, but maybe the Disk/Read-Write sensors (WMI Vital System Data) may go into the direction you are looking for.

best regards.

Created on May 14, 2012 12:40:22 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

HI Jeff,

Can't you use a sensor which monitors transfers/sec ? This is doable via custom wmi sensor.

Something like:

select DiskTransfersPerSec from Win32_PerfRawData_PerfDisk_PhysicalDisk where name='1 D:'

In order to do this, create a text file with the file extension .wql

Place the query above in there like so:

select DiskTransfersPerSec from Win32_PerfRawData_PerfDisk_PhysicalDisk where name='<#PH1>'

Place that file in your prtg install dir. Something like: C:\Program Files (x86)\PRTG Network Monitor\Custom Sensors\WMI WQL scripts

Then open up prtg and create the sensor. Fill in the PH1 value in prtg and you should be good to go. A great little util I use for fiddling with WMI is wmiexplorer which is available via http://www.ks-soft.net/

good luck!

Created on May 16, 2012 5:08:56 PM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.