What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Issue with live graph time period

Votes:

If I'm not mistaken the time period displayed in live graphs (e.g., 10 minutes) depends on the number of data points configured (e.g., 120 points at an interval of 5 seconds) at the server level.

So it seems I can't independently control the time period of the graphs in situations where I have devices scanning at different intervals. For example, as above, 120 points at 5 seconds will result in a 10 minute graph, and at 10 seconds, a 20 minute graph. But what if I want both graphs to display 10 minutes? I don't think I can do it.

In a Map showing multiple graphs I commonly want them all to cover the same time period. The limitations above mean that I'm forced to decide on a "standard" scan interval for all my devices for which I want to display live graphs.

I can imagine this approach was taken for optimization and scalability reasons but it is very restrictive and not very intuitive because I'd really like to specify the display time period in the settings for each individual graph.

Am I mistaken in my understanding? Is there some way around this issue? (In my case I'm comparing PRTG Network Monitor to the older Traffic Grapher that had quite a bit of flexibility in graph display and intervals.)

Thanks!

display graph live period time

Created on May 14, 2012 6:16:39 PM

1 Reply

Votes:

Yes, this restriction is correct. We recommend to either use the "2h graphs" (which all display the same time span) or run those sensors, that you want to display together, with the same interval.

Created on May 15, 2012 8:34:10 AM by  Dirk Paessler [Founder Paessler AG] (11,025) 3 6

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.