What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

80041010: The specified class is not valid

Votes:

Hi,

We are receiving the above mentioned error while PRTG is monitoring for CPU Usage. What will be best option to try on. I have searched for in KB and got to know of below options: 1) refresh performance counters option 2) resync performance counters option 3) reload performance counters option 4) re-register WMI components option

Let me know so that I can try doing any one of the above.

cpu-load prtg7 wmi

Created on May 16, 2012 7:42:14 AM

10 Replies

Votes:

80041010 – The specified class is not valid

This is quite an ambiguous message, as there can be different causes to it, among which are:

• If certain services (for example, Exchange) are not started when the WMI AutoDiscovery/AutoPurge (ADAP) process is started, the performance counters are not transferred to WMI because WMI uses ADAP to build its internal performance counter table. Follow the steps below to fix this. For more details, please see this article (deprecated, but still available via archive.org and the information is still valid).
    • Open a command console.
    • Execute wmiadap.exe /f
    • Start WMI.
  • Performance Counters are disabled for a specific service. There is a registry entry for WMI counters for each service. To check and fix this you have to edit the Windows registry. For more details, please see this article (deprecated, but still available via archive.org and the information is still valid).
    Caution: Please back up your system before manipulating the Windows registry!
    • Key: HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Service-name\Performance
    • Data type: REG_DWORD
    • Range: 0|1
    • Default value: 0
    • According to Microsoft: "If the value of this entry is 1, then the Performance Library (Perflib) does not retrieve performance data about these counters from the registry. As a result, System Monitor and other tools that use the data cannot display it. Instead, the tools display a value of 0 or 100 percent, depending on the counter."
    • To activate changes, restart the Windows computer.

See also the article What are the most common errors when monitoring WMI?

Also, we would suggest following the order defined in the WMI repair list.

Created on May 18, 2012 1:15:18 PM by  Patrick Hutter [Paessler Support] (7,225) 3 3

Last change on Nov 1, 2019 9:04:32 AM by  Erhard Mikulik [Paessler Support]

Votes:

OK, I understand that we need to follow, can you be specify in what needs to be followed?

Created on May 19, 2012 10:13:52 AM

Votes:

The list is pretty much arranged in the order that it is intended to be followed. So, proceed on all relevant entries from top to bottom.

Created on May 21, 2012 8:34:34 AM by  Patrick Hutter [Paessler Support] (7,225) 3 3

Votes:

FYI - The first microsoft link is broken. The 2nd takes you to a page to download ALL old content to 2003 KB articles.

Created on Apr 13, 2017 8:36:10 PM

Votes:

Thank you, Peter, we have updated the article.

Created on Apr 19, 2017 11:16:06 AM by  Gerald Schoch [Paessler Support]

Votes:

All the article links are now dead.

Created on Nov 1, 2019 8:48:07 AM

Votes:

Fixed the links pointing to archive.org, working again.

Created on Nov 1, 2019 9:05:21 AM by  Erhard Mikulik [Paessler Support]

Votes:

I'm having this problem now too, I tried all the suggestions on this page and on this one: https://kb.paessler.com/en/topic/3713-i-have-tried-a-lot-of-things-to-fix-my-wmi-what-else-can-i-try-to-avoid-reinstalling-windows

with no luck, any other suggestions?

Created on Dec 1, 2020 5:48:20 PM

Votes:

I was able to fix the problem on the server by following the instructions in Sabrina Shen’s post on technet here: https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/Lync/en-US/3c869f91-59a5-4b03-8609-a7e3913c3b4a/failed-to-initialize-all-required-wmi-classes-on-primary-server?forum=configmgrgeneral Note the for command needs to be run in your WMI repository folder (which for me was c:\windows\system32\wbem)

Restart the WMI service

Run the command: winmgmt /salvagerepository

Next:

winmgmt /resetrepository

for /f %s in ('dir /b *.mof *.mfl') do mofcomp %s

Created on Dec 2, 2020 1:26:08 PM

Last change on Dec 3, 2020 5:55:19 AM by  Marijan Horsky [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Note, that broke ATA on the same server, I had to rebuild my repository again while the service was off:

Sc config winmgmt start= disabled
Net stop winmgmt /y
Winmgmt /resetrepository
Sc config winmgmt start= auto
Net start winmgmt

Created on Dec 3, 2020 8:31:32 PM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.