What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Monitor of port 55000 causing application erro

Votes:

Hi,

I have added a Port sensor to monitor the TCP/IP port of an application installed on one of our servers. This application uses port 55000, however, when I enable to sensor the application fails. Would you have any ideas? Does the port sensor get a lock on port?

Thanks, Noel

port prtg sensor

Created on May 21, 2012 11:31:31 AM

8 Replies

Votes:

Hi,
we just tested the scenario you are describing and I'm afraid we cannot recreate it neither with V9 nor with V12 of PRTG. What precise version on PRTG are you using and what is the error message resp. error behaviour?
Best regards

Created on May 21, 2012 1:26:16 PM by  Konstantin Wolff [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi, Our version is PRTG Network Monitor 12.2.1.1768. What happens is that on one of ours servers we have an application that starts as a service running on port 55000. Users connect to this application through this port. When we enable the sensor any new connections to the application on that port come up with an error. We have to restart the service and disable to sensor to stop this behaviour. Thanks, Noel

Created on May 21, 2012 1:39:47 PM

Votes:

Hi,
so your application goes to error state and not PRTG? Did I get you right?

Created on May 21, 2012 1:45:30 PM by  Konstantin Wolff [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi, yep that's correct our application goes to error state when we activate the prtg posrt sensor.

Created on May 21, 2012 1:48:48 PM

Votes:

Hi,
the PRTG Port sensor performs only a TCP Connect towards the target. No data is sent, so I'm assuming this might be the issue as your application most likely waits for data after the connection. I'm afraid this behaviour of the sensor cannot be changed but you may try sending a command (can be set up in the sensor settings) to the host.
Best regards

Created on May 21, 2012 2:05:33 PM by  Konstantin Wolff [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi, Thanks for that, I'll look into setting up a command. Noel

Created on May 21, 2012 2:28:33 PM

Votes:

Hi, Just wondering if you have an example of a SEND command I can put in...any one I enter I just keep getting No Data Yet from PRTG sensor?

Created on May 22, 2012 11:18:44 AM

Votes:

Hi,
when the send command option is activated a telnet session to the host is established, in this telent session a command is executed. But I'm afraid I cannot giva a example as the command and if it might get executed fully depends on the capabilities of your server / application.
Best regards

Created on May 22, 2012 11:51:56 AM by  Konstantin Wolff [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.