What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

How to parse SNMP response containing integer data

Votes:

Hi,

I have SNMP service returning tempereature in Celsius. So exact response is "25 Centigrades". I need to monitor temperature but return value is STRING which I some need to be able to extract actual value of temperature for charting and alerting. How it can be done?

parse snmp string

Created on Apr 10, 2010 5:37:11 PM

6 Replies

Accepted Answer

Votes:

I'm afraid converting the string response into a numeric value is not currently possible using PRTG. However, in most cases, devices include a further counter that returns only the numeric value. Please check if this is not the case.

Created on Apr 12, 2010 12:47:27 PM by  Patrick Hutter [Paessler Support] (7,225) 3 3

Votes:

I'm running into the same problem and unfortunately the MIB of the device does not provide a separate OID represented as an integer. Is it planned to have string manipulation / conversion capabilities built into PRTG in a future version?

Created on Jul 1, 2010 12:23:32 PM

Votes:

I've exactly the same. From a *nix device I get "0.37, 0.10, 0.03" as a reply to cpu load average OID. Is there any way to manipulate this string within PRTG and get them inside a graph?

Created on Dec 10, 2010 10:20:01 AM

Votes:

We will look into this issue and maybe have a solution in one of the next versions.

Created on Dec 11, 2010 4:24:03 PM by  Dirk Paessler [Founder Paessler AG] (11,025) 3 6

Votes:

I am having the same problem. Is it possible to do this using scripting at all.

Created on Jan 10, 2011 11:33:13 PM

Votes:

Since some time it is possible to monitor SNMP-String values and extract Integers / Float values. Please check SNMP custom string sensor: https://www.paessler.com/manuals/prtg/snmp_custom_string_sensor

Created on Jun 28, 2021 9:50:22 AM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.