What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

SMTP Roundtrip Sensor - Where are the mails stored?

Votes:

I have implemented the SMTP Roundtrip Sensor for testing and can see that the PRTG server retrieves email via POP3 as part of the test.

What happens to the email that is downloaded via POP3? Is it stored anywhere or purged? We are planning on setting up a number of these tests for a number of our clients so the volume of email retrieved via POP3 will increase over time and I want to ensure I dont fill up my disks by accident.

Can you please advise:

a) if this is stored anywhere? b) where it is stored? c) if it's possible to flush this information to prevent disks from filling up?

Thanks Paul

pop3 roundtrip smtp

Created on Jun 15, 2012 12:13:23 PM

1 Reply

Votes:

Hi,
the data resp. the email the sensor is creating are not stored. Neither on the disk nor in the email inbox.
Best regards

Created on Jun 18, 2012 10:10:05 AM by  Konstantin Wolff [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.