What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Reset notification inheritance

Votes:

Hi,

I am reviewing the notification settings on our version 9 installation.

Some devices and sensors have been set to "use only triggers defined for this object" and I was wondering if there is any way I can reset the notification inheritance for all devices and sensors back to "Inherit triggers from parent object" globally rather than one device or sensor at a time?

Regards

inheritance notifications triggers

Created on Jun 15, 2012 1:24:53 PM

5 Replies

Votes:

Hi,
I'm afraid multi-edit of notifications is not possible at the moment. We are working a feature like this but no release date has been determined yet.
Best regards

Created on Jun 18, 2012 6:39:50 AM by  Konstantin Wolff [Paessler Support]

Votes:

I am in the same situation. At some point the inheritance has been broken and I only became aware when I modified our in-house PSA solution to Acknowledge the alarms and I found there were a growing number of unacknowledged alarms.

It will take a VERY long time to go through each device one-by-one and re-enable inheritance so I can be 100% confident we are not missing any notifications.

Has there been any progress on this? Is there some form of back-end/manual update that we can run to automate this? It's very important for us.

Created on Mar 29, 2013 7:26:32 AM

Votes:

I'm very much afraid that Multi-Edit on Notifications/Triggers is not available. It's very very complex to implement this, to be honest. We do see the challenges with the current "concept" of course, but are still thinking about how to best solve this. There are workarounds available though, with the abilities to set triggers on Libraries now, this can help to set triggers on certain sensors types (in a group, etc.).

Created on Mar 29, 2013 9:10:01 AM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

This is truly a major limitation. If you happen to set the notification on the group to say "only use the settings above", then you are screwed as now you have to go to every device (and possibly every sensor) to reset it! Yikes!

Created on Dec 15, 2018 8:37:29 PM

Votes:

Hello rayb2001,

We have this meanwhile on the development board, so it is planned to have this in the future, but it hasn't been planned in detail in which version this might make an appearance.

Kind regards,

Erhard

Created on Dec 17, 2018 8:29:37 AM by  Erhard Mikulik [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.