What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

HTTP Advanced - Following redirects

Votes:

Dear support,

I am make a scan of the features of PRTG trail version, checking if it is possible to do the things our client wants, so far looking very good but I am running against a fatal issue.

What I want is monitor the login process of a website, the HTTP Advanced sensor seems to be able to do all what I need. But whenever the sensor does the call I get the HTML back of the login page and not the page you should get after a successful (get this by checking the last stored HTML result)

The login redirects the clients after a successful login, but PRTG doesn't seems to follow/understand this.

Am I doing something wrong or is this simply not possible (with this sensor)?

302 http-advanced login prtg redirect

Created on Jun 25, 2012 3:22:38 PM

5 Replies

Votes:

We just implemented a bugfix for all http sensors. There was a problem with the creation of the cookies, that are needed for most pages, to be able to log in. This bugfix is only available on our canary channel so far, but it will most likely be released on the preview and stable channel, soon.

If you want to see if the bugfix helps in your case, you can install PRTG on another system and go to "Setup" -> "System Administration" -> "System & Website" and set the "Release Channel" to "Canary". Please do not do this on your production system, as the canary build is an very early build and never fully tested. If you go to "Setup" -> "Software Auto Update" and then click the "Download Latest Version", you will download the new canary build. After you install this build, you should be able to set up a sensor on the new installation, that will hopefully work.

Created on Jun 27, 2012 5:51:50 PM by  Johannes Herrmann [Paessler Support] (1,360) 2 2

Votes:

Dear Johannes,

I followed the steps you gave, except the install on another system step I just updated the system we had running.

Currently running version: 12.3.2.2223 [Canary]

But I am still running into the same issue, the last request contains the HTML of the login page and not the secured page after that.

This seems like you suggested an error with the cookies, because whenever I var_dump (PHP) the cookie variable, it is empty in the last stored response and filled in the browser.

Got something else I could try?

Created on Jul 2, 2012 1:59:57 PM

Votes:

In your case you don't need a seperate installation, of course. But we highly recommend not to use the canary build for a production system.

Is it a public website, so we could take a look or is it only available within your network?

Would you please try to use a Http Transaction Sensor and see if it works?

Created on Jul 3, 2012 8:10:03 AM by  Johannes Herrmann [Paessler Support] (1,360) 2 2

Votes:

Sorry for my late reply, but it is only available on my local network. Well... There is a version running public, but it's for a mobilephone company and you would need client credentials to test this and I can't supply these.

Created on Jul 9, 2012 2:34:00 PM

Votes:

Would you please try to use a Http Transaction Sensor and see if it works?

Created on Jul 10, 2012 9:53:31 AM by  Johannes Herrmann [Paessler Support] (1,360) 2 2

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.