What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

VoiP

Votes:

I just want measure the QoS Parameter between the Firewall and the Phone-Server. Just to get an impression how does the phone-server, switch and firewall do their job. How must I do that? I cannot set a QoS-Sensor on the IP-Adress of the Phone-Server nor the IP-Adress of the Firewall. Possibly I did not at all understand the whole thing... Thanks for helping.

qos sensor voip

Created on Jun 27, 2012 6:39:09 AM

3 Replies

Votes:

If you want to monitor a connection between two devices with the QoS-Sensor, you need to set up a remote probe on both devices. (You can find a description on how to install a remote probe here)

Then you have to add a QoS-Sensor to one of the new probedevices and use the ip of the other probe as target.

Created on Jun 27, 2012 4:28:31 PM by  Johannes Herrmann [Paessler Support] (1,360) 2 2

Votes:

Thanks a lot. Maybe I did not understand well, but how can I install a remote probe before a firewall? That means I must ask the VoIP Provider to install a remote probe on their system? Of course on the Phone-Server I am able to install a remote-probe, but what about the VoIP-Provider? I'm right?

Created on Jun 27, 2012 5:23:52 PM

Votes:

This was a missunderstanding. I figured you run both of the systems. You will most likely not be able to convince your provider, to install your remote probe, that means, you will not be able to use the QoS sensor in this case. We recommend to use the SIP Options Ping sensor. It will monitor the availibility of your VoiP-Provider, but it will not help you measuring your connection.

Created on Jun 27, 2012 5:35:15 PM by  Johannes Herrmann [Paessler Support] (1,360) 2 2

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.