What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Help with SIP Options Ping

Votes:

Hi,

Have just upgraded to version 12 and would like to be able to use the new SIP Options Ping sensor.

I have configured the sensor but I am getting a "Timeout (code: PE018)" message.

What does this error mean?

Thanks

John

asterisk ping sip

Created on Jun 27, 2012 2:00:32 PM

Best Answer

Accepted Answer

Votes:

We've found a reason, why some servers did not to answer to our requests. We've fixed it and we will deliver the fixed sensor with our first PRTG release in 2013.

Created on Dec 21, 2012 10:41:08 AM by  Johannes Herrmann [Paessler Support] (1,360) 2 2

10 Replies

Votes:

When running the Sip Options Ping sensor, PRTG starts an Application, that creates UPD packets and sends them to the device to the configured port. Then it waits for a response from the device. If the Application doesn't return anything within the given timeout, PRTG kills the task and returns a timeout error.

Created on Jun 27, 2012 3:58:02 PM by  Johannes Herrmann [Paessler Support] (1,360) 2 2

Votes:

I assume the sensor picks up the IP address of its parent device then?

I cannot see why it is not working then. How should I go about debugging this? The phone system is asterisk based and I have simply entered details of an existing extension I know will work.

Created on Jun 27, 2012 4:07:44 PM

Votes:

Yes it does. In the PRTG directory, you can find a subdirectory called "Sensor System". In this directory, you can find a file called "SipOptionsPingSensor.exe". You can run this application with the following parameters: -ip=<IPAddress> -port=<Portnumber> -user=<Username> -pw=<password> [-timeout=<Timeout in Seconds>] [-retry=<Number of retrys>]

The programm will exit afterwards, so either use a command shell or redirect the output to a textfile.

If you need further assistance with debugging, we need to know the output of this Application. If it takes a minute or longer, please kill the application and let us know. We will think of something to help you, then.

Created on Jun 27, 2012 4:42:18 PM by  Johannes Herrmann [Paessler Support] (1,360) 2 2

Votes:

Have tried running with the command line as follows:

C:\Program Files (x86)\PRTG Network Monitor\Sensor System>sipoptionspingsensor - ip=192.168.0.250 -port=5060 -user=6039 -pw=<password> -timeout=60

I get no output at all and it just sits there without completing!

I have disabled my local firewall also but this has not helped.

Created on Jun 28, 2012 9:48:29 AM

Votes:

I am having the same issue however running the "sipoptionspingsensor.exe" does nothing and produces no output.

Created on Sep 6, 2012 2:24:20 PM

Votes:

We could not recreate this behavior so far.

It would help a lot, if you answered the following questions:

• Which SIP server/service are you using?
  • What versions of the dotNet framework do you use on the system, your PRTG is running on?
  • If you use a remote probe, what versions of dotNet are used there If there is more than 1 version installed on one of the system, please give us a list of all versions.

We'll continue searching for the problem and try to fix this as soon as possible.

Created on Sep 6, 2012 3:55:07 PM by  Johannes Herrmann [Paessler Support] (1,360) 2 2

Votes:

We spend a lot of time searching for this error, but we weren't able to recreate it in our test environment. We're very sorry, but we will not be able to provide a fix for this problem.

Created on Sep 24, 2012 4:16:26 PM by  Johannes Herrmann [Paessler Support] (1,360) 2 2

Accepted Answer

Votes:

We've found a reason, why some servers did not to answer to our requests. We've fixed it and we will deliver the fixed sensor with our first PRTG release in 2013.

Created on Dec 21, 2012 10:41:08 AM by  Johannes Herrmann [Paessler Support] (1,360) 2 2

Votes:

Fantastic, could you confirm when it will be released?

Created on Jan 2, 2013 2:43:12 PM

Votes:

Sorry, we can't give an exact ETA, but the fix should arrive in the stable channel at latest within the next 4 weeks. Please bear with us.

Created on Jan 2, 2013 4:04:02 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.