What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Folder Monitor Issue

Votes:

Hi,

I have two folder monitor sensors watching the age of files in their respective folders. This has been setup for maybe a year without any issues. I should point out the folders are on a cluster, so I am monitoring them via the cluster interface rather than an individual server.

We recently replaced that cluster with a new one, reusing the original disk and data; there were no changes to NTFS permissions, etc.

I changed the "server" being monitored to the new cluster interface. Now, one folder monitor works and the other doesn't. I can't figure out why.

Both sensors are checking the same cluster interface, using the same credentials (domain admin), accessing the exact same folders as before. I can't see any difference in configuration between the two sensors other than the folder they point to.

Is there something I might be overlooking? How about any debug logging to figure out why this isn't working? I'm getting error PE100 "file too old," but the sensor does not appear to be finding any files.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks, James

cluster debug folder

Created on Jul 10, 2012 7:06:00 PM

1 Reply

Votes:

Hello,

the unfortunate situation is that PRTG (or we) don't get any info that we could put into such a debug log, from the standard WindowsAPI-Calls which are used. Please see the following KB-Article for further details and tipps: https://kb.paessler.com/knowledgebase/en/topic/11833-folder-sensor-works-erratically-multiple-error-codes

best regards.

Created on Jul 11, 2012 1:29:22 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.