What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

DHCP pool monitor..

Votes:

I am using PRTG 9 in my office.. I'm just wondering if there is any sensor that monitors DHCP pool's capacity? Or is there any way to monitor it?

custom-sensor dhcp sensor

Created on Jul 12, 2012 2:58:30 AM

Best Answer

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Here is a way to monitor DHCP statistics per scope:

Summary

Monitor DHCP statistics, using DHCP MIB and PRTG SNMP-Custom sensors.

Steps

1. Install the snmp service in your DHCP server if not installed, using add/remove windows components. Then go to Network and management tools and install the service.

2. Once the snmp service is installed, click on it, then click on the security tab. Specify the community name and hosts allowed to get snmp info.

3. Check the available OID's in the DHCP-MIB You will find all the relevant MIB values related to the DHCP scope statistics:

dhcpScope1.3.6.1.4.1.311.1.3.2
scopeTable1.3.6.1.4.1.311.1.3.2.1
scopeTableEntry1.3.6.1.4.1.311.1.3.2.1.1
subnetAdd1.3.6.1.4.1.311.1.3.2.1.1.1
noAddInUse (Used IPs)1.3.6.1.4.1.311.1.3.2.1.1.2
noAddFree ((Available IPs))1.3.6.1.4.1.311.1.3.2.1.1.3
noPendingOffers1.3.6.1.4.1.311.1.3.2.1.1.4

4. Add a PRTG SNMP Custom or SNMP Custom Advanced Sensor with the MIB value required, and make sure you modify the SNMP credentials.

5. Then You can add notifications and thresholds per sensor. Ex.: Set a notification to send an email/sms if the number of available IPs are below 10.

Edited by Mod:
Thanks for the contribution.
Note: This may only be partially supported on Windows Server 2012 as further described here. In that case you'll need to switch to a Custom Powershell script based Sensor to correctly monitor DHCP.

Created on May 14, 2013 6:33:30 AM

Last change on Nov 10, 2015 7:22:16 AM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

7 Replies

Votes:

Hi,
I'm afraid there is no dedicated sensor for this purpose and I'm also not aware of any way to monitor the same. But you may have a look at the Custom Sensors PRTG provides as it might be possible to gather the data with a custom script or WQL query.
Best regards

Created on Jul 12, 2012 7:52:02 AM by  Konstantin Wolff [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Well I think i found the partial solution which meets my company's need..But I can't seem to produce the result yet..I think i have done something wrong but can't see what it is..

Here is what i did..

I created a wmi event log sensor which i input

Match String (Event Message) = Scope, %, is % percent full with only % IP addressess remaining.

in another sensor i did

Filter by Source = DHCP-Server

and in another i did

Filter by Category = 1020

and it all displays OK..But i just found out now that it does not display any result/doesn't synch with PRTG as i checked the logs of the DHCP server..Can you help me with this?

Created on Jul 12, 2012 1:44:29 PM

Votes:

Hi,
am I getting you right here? You are using three different event log sensors? Or just two?

Created on Jul 13, 2012 12:27:40 PM by  Konstantin Wolff [Paessler Support]

Votes:

I made 3 different sensors to check which one could get the DHCP log from event viewer..

So far only the sensor which i filtered by category worked.

I just want to know if i did something wrong on the other 2 filters.

Created on Jul 16, 2012 3:00:09 AM

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Here is a way to monitor DHCP statistics per scope:

Summary

Monitor DHCP statistics, using DHCP MIB and PRTG SNMP-Custom sensors.

Steps

1. Install the snmp service in your DHCP server if not installed, using add/remove windows components. Then go to Network and management tools and install the service.

2. Once the snmp service is installed, click on it, then click on the security tab. Specify the community name and hosts allowed to get snmp info.

3. Check the available OID's in the DHCP-MIB You will find all the relevant MIB values related to the DHCP scope statistics:

dhcpScope1.3.6.1.4.1.311.1.3.2
scopeTable1.3.6.1.4.1.311.1.3.2.1
scopeTableEntry1.3.6.1.4.1.311.1.3.2.1.1
subnetAdd1.3.6.1.4.1.311.1.3.2.1.1.1
noAddInUse (Used IPs)1.3.6.1.4.1.311.1.3.2.1.1.2
noAddFree ((Available IPs))1.3.6.1.4.1.311.1.3.2.1.1.3
noPendingOffers1.3.6.1.4.1.311.1.3.2.1.1.4

4. Add a PRTG SNMP Custom or SNMP Custom Advanced Sensor with the MIB value required, and make sure you modify the SNMP credentials.

5. Then You can add notifications and thresholds per sensor. Ex.: Set a notification to send an email/sms if the number of available IPs are below 10.

Edited by Mod:
Thanks for the contribution.
Note: This may only be partially supported on Windows Server 2012 as further described here. In that case you'll need to switch to a Custom Powershell script based Sensor to correctly monitor DHCP.

Created on May 14, 2013 6:33:30 AM

Last change on Nov 10, 2015 7:22:16 AM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

Votes:

Hello,

I followed your guide and it works during a few days. Do you know why after reboot DC server with DHCP installed on it now fails? "Generic Error (error SNMP # 5)" is shown on PRTG and SNMP Tester also.

If I try to query other kind of SMTP sensor to DC it works correctly... I don't know why is happening that.

Thanks in advance, regards.

Created on Mar 25, 2021 9:47:22 AM

Votes:

Hello Roberto,

Thank you for your message.

Regarding the issue, if you get the same error in SNMP Tester then the problem probably comes from the request or the server.

Have you tried to restart the SNMP service on the server and checked if SNMP Tester still get the error afterwards? If not, then I invite you to do so.

Can you tell us what SNMP requests you execute with SNMP Tester as well?

Regards.

Created on Mar 25, 2021 1:02:57 PM by  Florian Lesage [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.