What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

How to send a txt message to a cell phone when a sensor is down

Votes:

I would like to send a short txt message when a sensor is down ( example - machine name or device , Description of device ) to a cell phone there will be multiple cell phones that will receive txt message with different providers. I have setup a test account on the version of prtg we are using and am able to send a txt message to my phone but there is way to much data that is being sent to it would it be easier to create a batch or VBS script than to create every user with there cell number attached

cell-phone txt-message web-page

Created on Jul 16, 2012 1:44:23 PM

5 Replies

Votes:

Hello,

have you tried changing the notification (its content) itself? https://www.paessler.com/manuals/prtg/notifications_settings.htm

best regards.

Created on Jul 16, 2012 2:10:30 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Yes I tried just name , location , date/time but when I got the txt message it had more than what was needed and never told me the machine name that was down it mainly was just code I am not sure what code this program is written in I wander if i use HTML instead of text if that will work.

Created on Jul 16, 2012 2:16:47 PM

Votes:

If you are using emails then to the phone, using the plain text is surely a good idea.

Created on Jul 16, 2012 3:12:19 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Here is what I have for html to notify me of a downed system this is all I want to be able to see in a txt message, just to be notified when it goes down and then when it is back up.

<!-- HTML Template per Notification BEGIN --> <div class="head"> <b>%device</b>: %name %status %down (%message) </div> <div class="head"> <b>%device</b>: %name %status %up (%message) </div>

<!-- HTML Template per Notification END -->

Created on Jul 16, 2012 3:46:40 PM

Votes:

I found out what the issue is when a alert is sent to either email or txt message you receive these headers and footers in the email

This email was sent to [email protected] at 7/16/2012 1:42:39 PM. Access the web interface for "PRTG Network Monitor (XXX-XXX-XX)" at http://XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX/

PRTG Network Monitor V7.2.3.4992 © 1996-2009 Paessler AG (www.paessler.com)

This is fine being sent to a email address but when being sent to a cell phone via txt message I really don't need this additional information being sent to a cell phone, all I need is this can this be another field that sends only that information

server name or device, time when device went down,

Created on Jul 16, 2012 7:00:25 PM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.