What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Is there a way to make the notification system redundant?

Votes:

I was hoping there is some method to make the notification portion of PRTG redundant. Is there anyway to allow the remote probes to send there own emails instead of relying on the central server? Or of clustering the Main database/server across a WAN to ensure notifications are sent, even if one device has died or lost connectivity?

Thanks

clustering notification prtg redundancy

Created on Apr 19, 2010 6:13:40 PM

Last change on Apr 20, 2010 7:20:49 AM by  Daniel Zobel [Product Manager]

Best Answer

Accepted Answer

Votes:

You're right - to monitor if your PRTG system itself is up and running, you cannot use a remote probe. In this case, we recommend monitoring PRTG with another instance of PRTG from another computer. For detailed information, please see:

How can I monitor one PRTG instance with another instance of PRTG?

Created on Apr 20, 2010 7:18:17 AM by  Daniel Zobel [Product Manager]

3 Replies

Votes:

Dear Ted,

I'm afraid the probes are technically simply not able to send out notifications, nor is there a clustering available in the moment.

Best Regards.

Created on Apr 19, 2010 7:09:07 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

So how can I have a PRTG probe that monitors the main server? I need to know when the PRTG systems are down so I can resolve the issue proactively. If I happen to lose power on the main server I will not get any notifications.

Suggestions?

Created on Apr 19, 2010 8:26:38 PM

Last change on Apr 20, 2010 7:15:46 AM by  Daniel Zobel [Product Manager]

Accepted Answer

Votes:

You're right - to monitor if your PRTG system itself is up and running, you cannot use a remote probe. In this case, we recommend monitoring PRTG with another instance of PRTG from another computer. For detailed information, please see:

How can I monitor one PRTG instance with another instance of PRTG?

Created on Apr 20, 2010 7:18:17 AM by  Daniel Zobel [Product Manager]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.