What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Downtime Reporting Basics

Votes:

I am wondering how downtime is calculated from a sensor. I see the reporting as a Percentage of the time interval which the device was down. Does the sensor ping the device at an interval until it finds the device to be down, at which point it pings every second to get an accurate downtime? Or does the sensor continue to ping at an interval to get an approximate downtime?

downtime interval prtg

Created on Jul 16, 2012 7:21:06 PM

3 Replies

Votes:

Hello,

in case of a "down" a sensor does not change its scanning interval. To be able to make an exact and definitely correct statement about downtime, PRTG then only accounts the time between at least two consecutive down-scans (or 10 or 50, etc., consecutive down-scans) as downtime.

best regards.

Created on Jul 17, 2012 11:28:45 AM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Thank you for your quick response. As a follow up, I'm having trouble figuring out how the software if calculating downtime. Are the down-scans on the same interval as the ping intervals?

For example, the ping interval is 30s, but in a 1minute period I'm reading downtimes of 66%. How can the software break down the downtime into seconds if the intervals are in half minutes?

Created on Jul 17, 2012 1:32:17 PM

Votes:

The scanning interval is not changed whether a sensor is up or down. It's always the same scanning interval.

Created on Jul 17, 2012 2:52:30 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.