What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Install Remote Probe on ESX

Votes:

I would like to monitor my ESX host health using PRTG. All the instructions for this say that the parent device for the probe needs to be the ESXi host... okay, fine, I get that, but my question is, how in the world do I get a remote probe on the ESXi host? Or how do I make the ESX host a parent device?

The host is running ESXi 4.1

esxi prtg remote-probe

Created on Jul 17, 2012 5:09:46 PM

3 Replies

Votes:

Hello,

I'm afraid there is a misunderstanding here, just add the ESXi server as a device in PRTG and then add the VMware-Sensors to it:

best regards.

Created on Jul 17, 2012 6:56:56 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

That is exactly what I need, thank you. Is there any way to monitor RAID and RAM health on the ESX host?

Created on Jul 17, 2012 8:51:13 PM

Votes:

I believe I got it working by using the VMWare SOAP monitor. This sensor keeps tabs on everything under the Configuration -> Health Status tab of an ESXi host (which would include RAID status), correct?

Created on Jul 18, 2012 2:20:03 PM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.