What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Cluster memory usage

Votes:

I have two identical machines running PRTG. The master node will start to eat up system memory overtime while the failover node is connected. Once failover is disconnected by setting it inactive or stopping core server service, there is a huge drop and memory is freed up. It's to the point that over a few hours the Master gets to a low 20% health or almost crash. I have taken PRTG completely off both and reinstalled but will do the same. Any suggestions to fix this ?

cluster memory prtg

Created on Jul 19, 2012 2:27:01 AM

3 Replies

Votes:

Hello,

I'm afraid we need much more details in such a case. Starting with details on the number of sensors in your cluster, the underlying machines, some screenshots showing the memory usage of the "PRTG Server.exe" in the Taskmanager. Most of the first details can be sent to us, by sending us the PRTG System Logs with the FTP-Upload-Option in the "PRTG Server Admin"-Tool.

best regards.

Created on Jul 19, 2012 2:24:25 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Currently we are using around 375 sensors to monitor various devices. I would say about all read SNMP numeric values. Everything will be operating fine and then the Master will start to increase memory usage and will continue until we power cycle the computer or disconnect the cluster. Once done the memory goes back to normal and sometimes will stay normal for days or 5-10 mins and begin all over. Nothing changes to the sensors to make the cluster have to talk excessively. One thing I have just noticed is once this problem starts, looking at the "Cluster Health" sensor there will be a huge spike of cluster messages out (195Msg/min) and continue until shutting the cluster down then memory returns to normal and we get back to 2-5Msg/min out.

One work around that resolves itself is when you have the cluster link broken for a few hours then reengaged, sometimes this will let all run normal. Sounds like a software glitch to me.

Created on Jul 23, 2012 5:35:40 AM

Last change on Jul 30, 2012 9:30:23 AM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

We've asked you and your colleague Scott several times for the logs from both nodes, but so far have only received the logs from the Master Node. It's very hard to help for us, this way.

Created on Jul 30, 2012 9:32:48 AM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.