What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

sFlow Traffic-In/Out channels missing

Votes:

Hi All, I have a Dell PowerConnect sending sFlow data to PRTG. I'm trying to define a sensor for total traffic in/out (of two switch ports connected to the "outside"), but those channels are not listed as an option in the Channels configuration of the sensor.

I added the sensor using the std. sFlow type. I'm assuming that "template" only contains specific channels and for what I'm trying to do I need to use the sFlow (Custom) template. (that's a question, not a statement ;) ).

The other question is, what would be the channel definition for "Total-In" and "Total-Out" ?

Thx in advance! Marcus.

custom-sensor prtg sflow

Created on Jul 19, 2012 7:07:11 PM

3 Replies

Votes:

Hello,

to get these channels, you would basically need to use a Custom Sflow-Sensor and define the Channels the way that traffic between internal IPs is disregarded (Exclude Filter), and then two channels where internal IPs as sources, and everything else as destination is "Traffic Out" and the other way around is Traffic In, for details on Custom Flow Sensors and Filters please see: Frequent Questions about Flow (NetFlow, sFlow), Packet Sniffing, Traffic Monitoring and Cisco.

best regards.

Created on Jul 20, 2012 1:58:39 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Last change on Dec 2, 2021 9:11:37 AM by  Maike Guba [Paessler Support] (2,404) 2 1

Votes:

Hi Torsten, thx for the quick reply. As I stated this is for monitoring "outside" traffic (Internet). Based on the information in the link you posted, could you comment on this:

#1:Traffic-In
DestinationIP[a.b.c.d/240] or DestinationIP[w.x.y.z/224]
#2:Traffic-Out
SourceIP[a.b.c.d/240] or SourceIP[w.x.y.z/224]

Will this work (correct syntax)? Do I need to also specify the destination on both channels as you mentioned in your post?

Thx again and viele Grüße aus SoCal ! Marcus.

Created on Jul 20, 2012 8:14:53 PM

Last change on Jul 23, 2012 11:11:06 AM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Addendum: sorry, the mask in the CIDR should contain bits of course, not the octet in decimal ...

Created on Jul 20, 2012 8:25:35 PM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.