What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Monitoring HP server RAID/Disk using WBEM

Votes:

We have a host of different HP servers (different models ranging from 350s to 380s) running Windows 2008/2008 R2. is it possible to monitor the hardware, specially RAIDs and disks, using WBEM and read the data from HP System Management without using SNMP?

hp snmp wbem

Created on Jul 22, 2012 7:02:55 AM

2 Replies

Votes:

Hello,

if you do know the necessary providers/classes, you could try using the WBEM Custom Sensor

best regards.

Important note: The WBEM Custom sensor is deprecated as of PRTG version 16.1.23.

Please see the following article for more details:

Created on Jul 23, 2012 12:43:50 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Last change on Mar 21, 2016 4:39:23 PM by  Gerald Schoch [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hello,

HP has a great guide out there to convert SNMP to WMI (which refences the WBEM providers) that I've used when I had a server or two with broken SNMP providers.

I will warn you though that a good portion of SNMP sensors are not implemented though so depending on how precise you want to get, sometimes all you can get from WBEM/WMI is a general "Everything OK, Something Broken" report as opposed to SNMP where you'll get per-drive info.

Here's a link to HP's PDF document, you can also Google "SNMP Data Migration Version 2.80 Migration Guide" You're looking for Page 196 where the CPQIDA snmp mib resides, as that has all the drive and array monitoring calls.

http://bizsupport2.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c02610880/c02610880.pdf

Regards,

Jonathan

Created on Jul 31, 2012 4:52:18 PM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.